Getting more than you bargained for with Home DNA tests

I draw the line at Peruvian Cherokees in my personal ethnography, continental drift aside...;)

Reactions: Paintman
I can see how having medical and race identifiers could give certain groups powerful information to use against people.

Reactions: Benway and Charleh
I think we’re in an age where our personal privacy is becoming less and less “private.” From our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or FaceApp, we’re all being recorded to some extent. I’ve actually taken the 23 and Me genealogy test and found some interesting information. My mother had an affair and I’m half brothers with 2 others I didn’t know about. I’ve since connected with them. Had I not done the test I’d have never known. It’s a blessing and a curse I suppose, but for me, I’m glad I did it.

Interesting and concerning

Jadamz,

It’s the idea that someone could ultimately use my DNA against me or my family which keeps me from trying one of these services. One of my siblings did this two years ago and I wasn’t even certain that I wanted to hear those results.

Reactions: Benway and Lynne
My niece recently took one of these and found her bio parents (who didn't want to be found) and some sisters and brothers. It appears they give you names of your closest relationship possibilities. This is a form of doxxing, if you ask me. Nothing confidential with these things. And the government builds it's data base.

Thanks for the vocabulary exercise. I’d not recognized that word before and looked it up only to discover that it is the exact thing that I fear about casual DNA testing.
The fine print tells you the info is shared with various other data basis....which includes our government. We've already had several cold cases solved by using relatives results, so even if you don't use the test yourself, if a close enough relative does, they can still track you by relationships. In the case of my niece, only two other relatives had taken the test....a half sister and a cousin. With just that, they tied a whole family unit together.

The fine print tells you the info is shared with various other data basis....which includes our government. We've already had several cold cases solved by using relatives results, so even if you don't use the test yourself, if a close enough relative does, they can still track you by relationships. In the case of my niece, only two other relatives had taken the test....a half sister and a cousin. With just that, they tied a whole family unit together.

Oh whoa or whaooo