Getting more than you bargained for with Home DNA tests

After discovering he has at least 17 kids, man sues fertility clinic

This doctor, back when he was a student, donated sperm with specific requirements that it be sent to the East Coast and no more than 5 kids from it. Now, with DNA testing kits, he's had 17 kids knock on his door....ALL in his area. Now, besides the fact the clinic broke the contract with the doc, these kids are all about the same age living in the same area, and may be dating each other without knowing it. Then you multiply that all these kids eventually have kids and then you have to watch for cousins.

Meanwhile, we have this poor doc with kids pounding on his door when it was supposed to stay annonymous! Thank you DNA kits....

I remember a comedy sci-fi story where whenever the character got through to a call center he found himself talking to himself because he'd been a sperm doner in collage and the DNA had been bought by a company which used it to make clones to work in call centers. No idea where that's from though.

This doctor, back when he was a student, donated sperm with specific requirements that it be sent to the East Coast and no more than 5 kids from it. Now, with DNA testing kits, he's had 17 kids knock on his door....ALL in his area. Now, besides the fact the clinic broke the contract with the doc, these kids are all about the same age living in the same area, and may be dating each other without knowing it. Then you multiply that all these kids eventually have kids and then you have to watch for cousins.

Meanwhile, we have this poor doc with kids pounding on his door when it was supposed to stay annonymous! Thank you DNA kits....
Your post, posted at the same time as my post has the same theme!

Reactions: garnetsilver
annonymous

That word is the key reason I dislike these commercial DNA kits. Because it seems to remove or preclude the opportunity for same.

I saw a video news piece on that same article you shared. The point that broke my heart was that one of the young women said that it was terribly painful for her to know that she is the product created by an act of fraud done against the donor. She seemed empathetic to the hurt done to the donor too.

Last edited:
She seemed empathetic to the hurt done to the donor too.
Makes it extremely difficult from both sides. And to have all of the children close in age IN the same community is reckless. A few go to this man's church and some to the same school as his own kids. Just so wrong. I hope he wins his lawsuit.

Although I’m not pro DNA collection by these companies because I don’t trust how that information will be used, I can see it would keep fertility clinics honest. Now at least the related siblings will know who not to date.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Makes it extremely difficult from both sides. And to have all of the children close in age IN the same community is reckless. A few go to this man's church and some to the same school as his own kids. Just so wrong. I hope he wins his lawsuit.
In those situations the DNA kits may help?Or maybe become available for those scenerio's.