Getting more than you bargained for with Home DNA tests

I agree Duke. I offer a remake of “The Beverly Hillbillies” sitcoms. The new premise is that DNA testing proves they are not all related as they thought. So they return to their rural roots to uncover which one actually has a different mother and thusly disavow their hillbilly heritage.

I like it, didn't occur to me to use the DNA theme in sitcoms. Man, that could seriously mess with some of the classics, like "Father Knows Best" and "Sanford and Son."

I like it, didn't occur to me to use the DNA theme in sitcoms. Man, that could seriously mess with some of the classics, like "Father Knows Best" and "Sanford and Son."

I like yours Duke. Let me offer “Courtship of Eddie’s ?Father?” and “Family Affair”...I always suspected Mr. French knew more than he was telling.

I like yours Duke. Let me offer “Courtship of Eddie’s ?Father?” and “Family Affair”...I always suspected Mr. French knew more than he was telling.

Weird the things you remember, like Mr French using the term "untidy Sams" in lieu of "sloppy Joes." I also remember Sissy looked a great deal like Uncle Bill.

There was an episode of "Sanford and Son" where another man claimed to be Lamont's father. Turns out he snuck into the wrong bedroom back in the day and made whoopee with Aunt Ester, not Fred's wife Elizabeth.

Weird the things you remember, like Mr French using the term "untidy Sams" in lieu of "sloppy Joes." I also remember Sissy looked a great deal like Uncle Bill.

There was an episode of "Sanford and Son" where another man claimed to be Lamont's father. Turns out he snuck into the wrong bedroom back in the day and made whoopee with Aunt Ester, not Fred's wife Elizabeth.

?Uncle Bill?...check the results of your 23-and-me test.

gee thanks, ill never look at the andy Griffith show the same again, iv already got an entire season thought out concerning DNA......lol.....
"gee pa, whys aunt bee being arrested,?, well ope, shes actually an imposter, runnin from the law over in mt.pilot....."
"barny, you got kids by Juanita at the diner, the fun girls and Thelma lou, you gotta fix this and now, you beat everything you know that?"
" I don't know what to tell ya gomer, but you better leave town and fast, join the marines or something, but you better go."
yep, a whole season could be written with all these characters....lol

I remember that one from a Looooong time ago. Funny.

Debi, I’d like to see something like the EU’s GDPR law enacted in the US. This EU law mandates that any personal information collected from any EU citizen must come with an explanation for how that data will be used and list any entities that personal data could be shared with.

Two specific points about GDPR should be extra interesting in context of this thread:
1. Entity must protect to ensure that the personal data collected is not used outside of its original stated purpose without first contacting the individual to request their additional approval for that extended incremental use. Doesn’t that sound like a pain in the butt.
2. The EU citizen has the later right to request that their collected info be removed from the stated original data storage place(s). This also obligates the original collector to purposefully reach out to any secondary recipients of same personal data to instruct them to delete it from their database(s) too. Does that sound like two pains in two butts.

Of courses penalties exist for any entity who screws this stuff up and extra penalties exist on the original entity if they can’t take responsibility for knowing and managing the entire string of data ownerships and exposures.

I suspect this kind of law would seriously muck up some key business/income models of FaceCrook, Sgroogle, and a few others. By the way, the GDPR d-o-e-s also apply to how US entities handle personal info of EU citizens too (but law has a delayed US effective date if I recall).

Relevance to this thread is that with a similar law here, the DNA testing companies could be prevented from revealing to you the identity of someone else genetically related to you who wants to remain anonymous.
Which is awesome until your country decides to leave the EU... There's always something that can go wrong.