ISIS Watch Thread

Do we believe the president when he says:

“One of the things I insisted on the day I walked into the Oval Office was that I don’t want intelligence shaded by politics. I don’t want it shaded by the desire to tell a feel-good story,” Obama said Sunday. “I believe that the Department of Defense and all those who head up our intelligence agencies understand that, and that I have made it repeatedly clear to all my top national security advisers that I never want them to hold back, even if the intelligence or their opinions about the intelligence, their analysis or interpretations of the data contradict current policy.” ( from the report link above )
Big no. Never want them to hold back...unless it's something that shows my hands are dirty

Reactions: Debi and 7Critter
The Mafia is now offering it's protection to New York from ISIS. No, I'm not kidding. (Talk about strange bedfellows!)
Crime only pays when people are alive, and when there are laws to break. If there are no people, or there are no laws, there is no profit commensurate to the risk.

Reactions: Debi
The source aside (which has a vested interest in fomenting panic and controversy in the name of ratings), intelligence analysts seem to have been throwing up warning flags about IS operations for months, none of which have panned out. One wonders just how hard IS cells are trolling people they know are watching them just to get them to waste time, money, and resources.

Remember that the primary goal of terrorism is not to hurt people, but to get whomever is hit to hurt themselves over and over again.

Reactions: Debi and Mokey
Big no. Never want them to hold back...unless it's something that shows my hands are dirty
Intelligence reports are inherently coloured by the politics of the people the analysts report to. One NEVER tells one's boss what they do not wish to hear, not unless one wants to have their career ruined. Or be turned over to CI to determine if they are compromised.

Dr. Rob Johnston wrote a book called Analytic Culture in the US Intelligence Community, which is an ethnography. In he he writes about this at length. I highly recommend reading it.

I also highly recommend The Open-Source Everything Manifesto by Robert David Steele, who is a former intelligence officer who writes about this phenomenon in great detail.

There was also a text published by the Center for the Study of Intelligence by Richards J. Heuer, Jr. entitled Psychology of Intelligence Analysis, in which he analyzes failures of intelligence analysis in great detail and how to overcome them.

Of course, all of these texts are about actual problems, and the party line is "We have NO problems, merely insufficient intel," so nothing will ever change.

Reactions: Debi and Mokey
Preach it. My disdain for this facade we call our government is no secret.

Reactions: Debi
Yet another bloody "hacker in a hoodie" picture. Credibility -= 5 points. Bleh.

GhostSec appears to have become its own distinct group, with unique identity, collection of memes, goals and strategies. They do appear to have some COMINT capability which is not OSINT (to put it another way, they are not solely monitoring the social media streams of the IS). By going independent (which other groups have done in the past) they remove themselves from the Anon-hivemind and do not need to adhere to the existing body of memes; they are their own entity now.

I have no information on their capability to infiltrate groups; if I did I would not talk about it because it would put them at risk. I can say that some network assets have burned down so thoroughly that it makes me cringe. Who did it and why, I do not know.

Reactions: jadamz and Debi
Yet another bloody "hacker in a hoodie" picture. Credibility -= 5 points. Bleh.

GhostSec appears to have become its own distinct group, with unique identity, collection of memes, goals and strategies. They do appear to have some COMINT capability which is not OSINT (to put it another way, they are not solely monitoring the social media streams of the IS). By going independent (which other groups have done in the past) they remove themselves from the Anon-hivemind and do not need to adhere to the existing body of memes; they are their own entity now.

I have no information on their capability to infiltrate groups; if I did I would not talk about it because it would put them at risk. I can say that some network assets have burned down so thoroughly that it makes me cringe. Who did it and why, I do not know.
Want to publicly thank you, Doc, for taking the time to answer the questions posed to you. Appreciate your insight and knowledge base on this.

What do you have to replace it?

What can you do at this very second to replace it? What are you doing?

How dirty are your boots?
I have but my voice and use it. I offer no alternative because we're so far gone its hard to find a light. Too many people caught up in the distractions they put forth. Celebrities and sports are more important to keep up with than the destruction of our rights.