You are getting sleepy....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

OK! Fess up!
Who are my insomniacs here? lol
I can name a few of you as I bump into you in the hallways here at night.
Pretty sure Duke never sleeps, Selectric cat naps only, and Garnet, Lynne and I have been known to share cookies at 2 AM. ;bg3
Do you know what has you wide awake? What's your trigger?
And what do you do besides stare at the ceiling when insomnia hits?
Got any tips on getting back to sleep?
393392424_741187428053250_7094362652275242673_n.jpg

I don't think many people over 50 sleep very well. Something has been waking me nightly at around 3 am. I get up and have a glass of milk. They say sleep is only for the innocent, so lots of insomniacs, lol. I have been known to have a special chocolate brownie since I stopped smoking:cool: which generally relaxes me to slumber.

I don't think many people over 50 sleep very well. Something has been waking me nightly at around 3 am. I get up and have a glass of milk. They say sleep is only for the innocent, so lots of insomniacs, lol. I have been known to have a special chocolate brownie since I stopped smoking:cool: which generally relaxes me to slumber.
398887045_357275126671610_9104936863487259820_n.jpg

Wish I had special brownies... ;)

I remember some doctor said just lying still as you try to get to sleep is almost as good for you as sleep itself. I feel it was a way of relaxing you to sleep with that thought. I'm right on to this guy, lol.

I have long ago given up on a regular sleep routine. Now retired, I just go to bed when I get sleepy, which is usually around 2 or 3 am. I used the wee hours for journaling, or working on my creative writing, or playing video games. Sometimes reading will help me fall asleep; one thing that works for me is to avoid bringing my phone to bed, or I will stay up even later. I pretty much get drowsy as soon as I get into bed, because I don't hang on it unless it is for napping or going to sleep.

Of course, certain medications will keep me from getting good sleep, but CBD oil is very relaxing, and over the counter GABA is helpful as well.

It doesn't happen everytime I try to fall asleep at night, but it happens often enough that a certain part of my brain decides to play psychologist. During the day I'm active, cooking, cleaning, doing chores, playing video games, reading a book or watching TV/YouTube. But when I lay down at night, when it's quiet and dark without anything to take my time and attention; that's the time a little voice pops up in the back of my head and says "Well since you're not doing anything right now let's discuss your deepest emotional traumas!"

During these times I stop to consider, do I need to get up in the morning or can I sleep in if needed? That determines whether I take the time to work through stuff or if I turn on some music and ignore Dr Annoying Brain.