When was the last time you tried a new food? What was it?

Kasha Varnishkas, grilled derma with some brown gravy and noodle kugel....yum! A Bens
Kosher Deli just opened by me in Westchester. I used to work at the Bens in the Smith haven mall back in my college days. I miss their food!

Where on Jerome? I make home visits sometimes and am on Jerome now and then.
LOL - I have no idea what those foods are! :confused:

Reactions: Naked Apple
pastrami, turkey, smoked tongue and cole slaw with russian dressing on rye from sarges........damn, i have to make a NY run soon :) My father used to make trype once a year......it was like chewing on a piece of rubber
Tongue is delish! The first time that I had it, I was a child and my mother served it. It's a Colombian dish. Then I had it again when I worked at Bens. They had tongue sandwiches, not as good in sandwich form. There is also hot tongue in a sweet and sour sauce, which is very good. Tripe is also delicious. I like it in Mondongo, a Dominican soup. I have also had the Italian version.

Last edited:
It seems like it would be tough as leather to chew. What's the consistency of tongue? Is it like eating a steak at all, or does it taste like chicken? - ha ha ha
it will be easier to chew than the pastrami:)

Reactions: Seahunter
damn I am now starving and no good jewish deli for at least 1000 miles :)
m3QabN8.jpg

It seems like it would be tough as leather to chew. What's the consistency of tongue? Is it like eating a steak at all, or does it taste like chicken? - ha ha ha
It depends on how it is cooked. The way my mother made it, it was soft textured for meat. Kind of like the texture of bologna, except without the nasty bologna taste. (Sorry Oscar Myers). When I had it at Bens, it was pickled tongue. It was still soft like any other meat that's been cooked through but it was sliced thin and in a sweet and sour sauce.

Sal, I had whitefish salad on a sesame seed bagel yesterday for breakfast. Hit the spot!

Reactions: sal
LOL - I have no idea what those foods are! :confused:
Kasha Varniskas is bow tie pasta with a type of buckwheat mixed in. Put a little brown gravy on that and yum!

Kasha-Varnishkes-superJumbo.jpg

Derma is a vegetable, chicken fat and bread stuffing that is put into a casing like a sausage is. It's great sliced, grilled and with some gravy.

200px-Kishke.jpg

Noodle Kugel is a pudding made of egg noodles and fruit. You can also make kugel (pudding) from other things like potato.

images

Kasha Varniskas is bow tie pasta with a type of buckwheat mixed in. Put a little brown gravy on that and yum!

Kasha-Varnishkes-superJumbo.jpg

Derma is a vegetable, chicken fat and bread stuffing that is put into a casing like a sausage is. It's great sliced, grilled and with some gravy.

200px-Kishke.jpg

Noodle Kugel is a pudding made of egg noodles and fruit. You can also make kugel (pudding) from other things like potato.

images
Thanks Nekki! Those all look delicious - I'm coming for a visit so you can show me your city's cuisine! :D