When was the last time you tried a new food? What was it?

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
As kids, we all generally have to be forced to eat our vegetables. right? I think for some of us that spoils the adventurous side of our appetite and we tend to stick to tried and true foods for our entire lives, with very little stepping out of the box.

I have been that way for most of my life, and once upon a time wouldn't eat anything if I hadn't had it before. I've tried really hard to break that mold in recent years, however, and am much more open to sampling foods that I've never eaten before.

My most recent foray into the world of "never tried it before" foods was a couple of weekends ago when my wife and I went out to dinner with friends. The restaurant was casual dress, but they had a fairly upscale menu. I quickly zeroed in on the Linguine with Escargot and decided I was going to try snails for the first time! The jury remains out on whether or not it's also my only time, but I'm glad I had them. :D

How about you? Anyone had their first experience with a particular food recently? You know you want the Osso Bucco!

Reactions: Indigo
I am generally adventurous when it comes to food. I tried Escargot once but hated it. I tend to love ethnic food, which in NY is pretty easy to get. I love Indian food, Italian food, Greek food, Thai food, Vietnamese food, Jewish food, Chinese food, etc. I also love Colombian and El Salvadorian food since I am familiar with these. My sister married someone from El Salvador and I visited the country for their wedding. LOVED the food. I am not crazy about Mexican and generally don't eat it. The part of the Bronx where I work has a lot of Puerto Rican and Dominican places to eat. I sometimes get lunch there.

Reactions: Indigo and surge
I will try anything once. The last odd food I had was ammoniated yes that's right ammonia black licorice from Denmark. It also had hot pepper in it. Disgusting.

Reactions: Naked Apple
Haven't tried anything new in quite some time now. I do play with new recipes from time to time....usually they come out fairly well, but it's just the same basic ingredients. I'm not afraid of trying new things at all! Just usually don't have the opportunity to do so. :)

Reactions: surge
Think I shall stick with this thank you !
[img id="yui_3_10_0_1_1433958746389_1574" src="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xxhRudBIvq4/S-hyG_DOXPI/AAAAAAAABFw/9GKJxvj8aew/s1600/IMG_1873.JPG" alt=" Lover - A Licorice Blog">
Ah yes that stuff is good! The Danes love their gummy candy and licorice. I thought this was a cruel trick on me, but no they love it! I then took the candy & have been playing a cruel joke on everyone I know since January when I got the stuff. >:-D

Haven't tried anything new in quite some time now. I do play with new recipes from time to time....usually they come out fairly well, but it's just the same basic ingredients. I'm not afraid of trying new things at all! Just usually don't have the opportunity to do so. :)
Do you ever try and make Asian cuisine? That stuff is rocket science. My husband is an excellent cook (someday he hopes to go public with the talent) & is starting to master this area. Asian food is just so darn difficult to get the flavors right. If I cook it will taste like a foot. The only things I have under my belt is anything Mediterranean or some good ole Eastern Woodlands tribal cooking. If you want that kind of food, I'm your girl. I also do well with Hispanic foods - same ingredients is why probably! Otherwise, I leave the kitchen to the husband. ;)

Ah yes that stuff is good! The Danes love their gummy candy and licorice. I thought this was a cruel trick on me, but no they love it! I then took the candy & have been playing a cruel joke on everyone I know since January when I got the stuff. >:-D
I'm so happy that I live so far away from you .......:D

Do you ever try and make Asian cuisine? That stuff is rocket science. My husband is an excellent cook (someday he hopes to go public with the talent) & is starting to master this area. Asian food is just so darn difficult to get the flavors right. If I cook it will taste like a foot. The only things I have under my belt is anything Mediterranean or some good ole Eastern Woodlands tribal cooking. If you want that kind of food, I'm your girl. I also do well with Hispanic foods - same ingredients is why probably! Otherwise, I leave the kitchen to the husband. ;)
Confession....hate most Asian food! Now, talk to me of Hispanic, and I'll go dish to dish with ya!