The Tarot Debate (Updated)

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Three-Tarot-Cards.jpg

A proposal aimed at allowing businesses to perform tarot card readings has sparked a heated debate in a small Virginia town.

The controversy began back in October when police in the town of Richlands forced the owners of an occult shop to stop performing tarot readings for their customers.

Despite the fact that they had been doing the readings for free, the owners were informed that divination was prohibited because the zoning law didn't expressly allow such activity.

As such, one of the shop's owners, Mark Mullins, set about trying to change that and put forward a proposal to the town council that would allow him to resume performing the readings.

However, his attempt to rectify the situation was met with some surprisingly strong pushback from angry Richlands residents leery of legally opening the door to divination.

The debate came to a head in a town meeting last week where critics of the proposal expressed profound fears about how fortune tellers might impact their community.

Among their concerns were that legal divination would unleash "demonic realms" upon the town and that residents would be held responsible in the hereafter if they allowed the proposal to pass.

This religious opposition to Mullins' relatively simple amendment to the town's zoning laws has, clearly, complicated the issue considerably.

Likely knowing that they were apt to upset some segment of the community one way or the other, the board opted not to vote on the change, but may revisit it at some point in the future.

What they will ultimately decide to do remains to be seen, but perhaps Mullins can throw the tarot and see whether his quest will be a success.

Source: SWVA Today

From my experience I’ve never heard of tarot cards opening up portals or welcoming demons into your life. I can understand the cards getting affected if there is demonic activity around however. But I don’t see why anyone can sort in the way of ones spiritual practice. Everyone has the right to practice their faith and beliefs in any way they choose.

Don't you all know by now that "Government" knows what's best for ALL the people?!?! What freedoms are left-not too many sadly!

Reactions: CalicoBarnCat
Don't you all know by now that "Government" knows what's best for ALL the people?!?! What freedoms are left-not too many sadly!
To me, this is a "religious" right. Agree or disagree with it, the very fact of controlling access to it is wrong. What may be a holy thing to me may not be to someone else, but I am truly tired of the nanny state trying to tell me what is best for me.

Reactions: CalicoBarnCat
From my experience I’ve never heard of tarot cards opening up portals or welcoming demons into your life. I can understand the cards getting affected if there is demonic activity around however. But I don’t see why anyone can sort in the way of ones spiritual practice. Everyone has the right to practice their faith and beliefs in any way they choose.
I have never heard of them being portal related. Ever.

I have never heard of them being portal related. Ever.
But of course at the church I go to, they’ve personally seen demons getting summoned with these cards :D I still love my congregation.

But of course at the church I go to, they’ve personally seen demons getting summoned with these cards :D I still love my congregation.
***Sigh*** My friend the nun can do one HECK of a reading! lol

Reactions: Charleh
Don’t get too comfortable with your tarot cards and semi automatic assault rifles!

***Sigh*** My friend the nun can do one HECK of a reading! lol
I tossed my cards out last week when that one night that one spot in my room just had a ton of negative energy.

Turns out there were a few objects in that area actually causing it. Burned those and the issue went away.

I feel bad for tossing them. They were the Penny Dreadful deck I got at HMV.

Reactions: Debi