The Tarot Debate (Updated)

From my experience I’ve never heard of tarot cards opening up portals or welcoming demons into your life. I can understand the cards getting affected if there is demonic activity around however. But I don’t see why anyone can sort in the way of ones spiritual practice. Everyone has the right to practice their faith and beliefs in any way they choose.

Actually, I do personally know of people who preach and teach against tarot cards. When I was in high school, a minister spoke at our convocation about the hazards -- including but not limited to various forms of spiritual oppression.

Hazards aside, I do agree that people should be free to make their own choices.

To me, Tarot is a band... I haven't listened to them much lately. Hope I haven't opened myself up to demonic forces through my musical preferences. :\

Reactions: Charleh
Actually, I do personally know of people who preach and teach against tarot cards. When I was in high school, a minister spoke at our convocation about the hazards -- including but not limited to various forms of spiritual oppression.
There will always be those who see it from that point of view, without understanding the other side of the coin. We honor all religious beliefs here that come from a loving place. As one with Wiccan roots, it is our goal here to see what we have in common instead of our differences. :)

I've worked with Tarot for years, although not currently. And met many others who use them as well for Divine-ization...not divination. Simply put, they are a tool and much like a mirror to look at oneself and where we can improve, when used in the correct manner. My biggest concern is all this willingness to make laws against just about anything! And this pretty much proves there doesn't seem to be anything off the table for regulation....which is pretty darn scary.

[QUOTE="Debi, post: 400510, member: 94" My biggest concern is all this willingness to make laws against just about anything! And this pretty much proves there doesn't seem to be anything off the table for regulation....which is pretty darn scary.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I like the government as far out of our personal lives as possible.

Reactions: Charleh and Lynne
***Sigh*** My friend the nun can do one HECK of a reading! lol
Wow she’s good with it? Do you know her reasoning ? I’m courious because the Bible warns against divination.

In regards to the above debate I think the govt should stay out of our business period

Reactions: CalicoBarnCat
Wow she’s good with it? Do you know her reasoning ? I’m courious because the Bible warns against divination.

In regards to the above debate I think the govt should stay out of our business period
She uses them as they were meant to be used...not divination, but Divine-ization. A tool to look at yourself and allow the mind to look at areas that might need some work spiritually.

She uses them as they were meant to be used...not divination, but Divine-ization. A tool to look at yourself and allow the mind to look at areas that might need some work spiritually.
It’s still surprising to me. I’m glad we have some spiritual wiggle room

Reactions: Debi
Tarot card controversy sparks heated debate at public hearing

The Richlands Town Council failed to vote on a controversial zoning change that would allow tarot card readings to be added as a permitted use for town businesses Tuesday night.

Opponents and proponents alike crammed elbow to elbow in the town council meeting room, with droves of people overflowing into the hallway at Town Hall. Community members came to speak both in favor and in opposition to the proposed change that was perpetuated by a perceived ban on tarot readings inside Richlands businesses.

“I’m not the first person to ever tell fortunes in town,” said Mountain Magic owner Mark Mullins. “I’m just the first person wanting to do it legally, I guess.”

Mullins filed the application with the Richlands Planning Commission to add fortune telling as a permitted use for a business. Fortune telling is an umbrella term that includes tarot readings and other forms of divination.

Despite the large number of supporters to show up at the hearing, Mullins was met by overwhelming opposition, the majority of whom cited biblical teachings as reasoning for a denial.

Some said they feared for their family’s safety if the town permitted the practice to go on inside the store. Others argued the practice would open up “demonic realms” which young children would be subjected to. Others said they feared a failure to prevent the change would go against them on judgment day.

“I don’t really want my children thinking that’s OK if they go in there and they get confused and don’t know what something is,” one woman said, adding, “If we open that up in this area and we’re letting people go into this, will their blood be required of our hands?”

Mullins pointed out at the start of the meeting that he currently legally read tarot cards on the sidewalk in front of his store and could legally perform a reading inside. The only thing he is prohibited from doing, he said, is voicing his interpretation.

“I can do it on the streets and it can be a sideshow, or I can do it inside the building where no one can see,” he said.

Members of the pagan community attempted to quell fears that the shop might corrupt the community.

“We’re not here to corrupt your children. We’re not here to turn anyone against the religion that they have,” one woman said. “We’re not here to try to convert you or to change you or to bring sin to Richlands. All we’re asking is for the same religious freedoms and the same religious rights as what you have.”

Supporters of the change expressed concern that a failure to approve the motion would violate Mullins’ first amendment rights. One supporter called it a “slippery slope” and warned that it should be avoided at all costs.

“My concern is more that this is plain and simply a first amendment right because they were not trying to make money from it, so it is simply a matter of their freedom of expression and freedom of speech,” one supporter argued. “If they had been charging for it, then it would be a zoning issue, but as it is, it’s an infringement on their personal rights and my concern there is that if you allow prohibition on one person’s rights—and it may seem great to the people on the other side—but once you open that door, you [open] the possibility of infringing on everybody’s rights.”

Some opponents urged the commission and council not to be intimidated by the possible threat of interference from the American Civil Liberties Union.

“The town has already been intimidated by the American Civil Liberties Union,” one woman said. “Our resources sometimes are limited and so they can make us cower sometimes, but in the boldness of the Holy Ghost, I bind their success.”

“One woman took prayer out of school and we sat back and done nothing, thinking it was going to be harmless,” a pastor warned. “I want the board and everyone else to think about that.”

On a non-religious point, the owner of the Richlands Record Exchange pointed to consumer appeal as reason for an approval.

“Every week, I’m approached for directions to their shop, so I do know that it is bringing in revenue,” he said. “As you’ve seen, there’s a young lady from Grundy who comes to this store. That’s out-of-towners coming here, spending money. And when they ask for directions to their store, they also ask, ‘what’s a good restraunt to go eat at?’ Again, while they’re here and they’re in town, they’re spending money on other businesses.”

Despite the large number of supporters to show up at the hearing, Mullins was met by overwhelming opposition, the majority of whom cited biblical teachings as reasoning for a denial.
i get it. it might be against your views. but it's never ok to bring religion in politics. ever. remember everyone being afraid of Sharia law a couple years ago? lots of people have that same fear with religious politicians regardless of faith. ugh why is that still an argument today?

It’s still surprising to me. I’m glad we have some spiritual wiggle room
basically its all about respectfully avoiding other people's gods and not bothering the dead. my question Is about looking to the stars for answers, since it's prohibited in the Torah but in the NT we're told to watch for the signs of Christ's return or something under those lines. it's all up in the air really but no these politicians are pretty sure of themselves!

Genesis 1:14
“And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:”

King James Version (KJV)

Genesis 1:14 New International Version (NIV)
14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years,