The Tarot Debate (Updated)

Well, I actually think people CAN "suffer from spiritual 'attacks' and/or demonic oppression if we became involved with the occult..."
The occult in my opinion, is totally different than the paranormal. BUT, people should have their free will and choice to believe and practice what they want-as long as it does not harm others. Just my opinion....
I agree Noble.

Yes, it is mostly that, but there actually were people who insisted that we could suffer from spiritual 'attacks' and/or demonic oppression if we became involved with the occult or rock music. I had to listen to people lecture on the 'dangers' of back-masking.
Cat are you personally involved here, are you from this area?

Cat are you personally involved here, are you from this area?

I was a musician, but not an occult practitioner. I was always intrigued by the idea of occult practices, but I suppose the strict religious upbringing I had kept me from getting into it. I have listened to 'satanic' metal from time to time...and that's about it for my personal experiences.

Family members have been involved in the occult though -- some of them perhaps more involved than I care to know about!

I feel the need to address the word "occult". I see it popping up a lot lately and a definition for the forum is probably needed.

Webster's definition is as follows:
of or relating to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies.
beyond the range of ordinary knowledge or understanding; mysterious.
secret; disclosed or communicated only to the initiated.
hidden from view.
  1. not apparent on mere inspection but discoverable by experimentation.
  2. of a nature not understood, as physical qualities.
  3. dealing with such qualities; experimental:

HOWEVER, in the Paranormal world itself, a new definition has come to be standard. The word "paranormal" is used to cover the above or things that fall within the world of the Light ie. white magic, mystic, and things supernatural. The word "occult" has now come to mean those things that represent Darkness, or possibly of evil or negative intent.

Where you personally stand on this may come from the individual religious or spiritual beliefs you may hold. But for the purposes of Forum discussion, the new definition is preferred here so we all understand what we are referencing....Light or Dark.

I feel the need to address the word "occult". I see it popping up a lot lately and a definition for the forum is probably needed.

of or relating to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies.
hidden from view.

HOWEVER, in the Paranormal world itself, a new definition has come to be standard. The word "paranormal" is used to cover the above or things that fall within the world of the Light ie. white magic, mystic, and things supernatural. The word "occult" has now come to mean those things that represent Darkness, or possibly of evil or negative intent.

Where you personally stand on this may come from the individual religious or spiritual beliefs you may hold. But for the purposes of Forum discussion, the new definition is preferred here so we all understand what we are referencing....Light or Dark.

personally I agree with just the definitions 2-5. otherwise I make the assumption that the person referring to divining with cards or pendulums as occult is someone who doesn't care to spend an hour learning the basic principles of what it is.

math and physics was once considered occult because it was not fully understood!

Reactions: Debi
Please explain this.

If your question is about so-called 'satanic' metal -- it's just a kind of music, a subgenre of heavy metal. Some of the musicians claim to be Satanists but a lot of them are not. I have never performed that kind of music, but there are people who think that if you only just listen to it, you could come under the influence of demons.

Yes, it is mostly that, but there actually were people who insisted that we could suffer from spiritual 'attacks' and/or demonic oppression if we became involved with the occult or rock music. I had to listen to people lecture on the 'dangers' of back-masking.
know-your-meme_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman

hidden from view.

Thanks for clarifying. I'd wondered how to handle that, as I use 'occult' to mean 'hidden' as in 'hidden knowledge', it's literal meaning but know that many just take it to mean 'evil magic'. I'm sure I can can come up with some other description for all the non-evil occult subjects!

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman