Region Specific....

While there are many false stories and tall tales about the origins of the motto Hoosier State, several plausible reasons exist. Perhaps the most likely explanation that the Hoosier State calls itself by that name is due to John Finley’s poem “The Hoosier’s Nest.” In this poem, the word describes a group of independent, brave people. Early settlers seemed to believe the term had a similar meaning to that of the poem and proudly used it to refer to themselves. Another possible reason is that a business man, G.L. Murdoch, offered to call his ship the “Indiana Hoosier” for business privileges in a letter he wrote to General John Tipton in February of 1831.

While these stories are entertaining, etymologists and historians agree that the phrase Hoosier describes others in a contemptuous manner. The derogatory term applied to individuals in the same context as the words redneck or hick. The term first described the peoples living in the Ohio Valley and then spread through to Southern Indiana. Over the years, the term came to include all inhabitants of Indiana; and it lost the negative connotations of the original meaning.

The Hoosier's Nest by John Finley

Now, in my Southern Indiana area, the names of places can be hilarious. Beaver Bottom is the name of a local lake.

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
This gets used all the time in Scotland;

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns

"we're all the same under the skin" or "we are all God's children"

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
This gets used all the time in Scotland;

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns

"we're all the same under the skin" or "we are all God's children"
That is what I LOVE about the "lands"....you all feel the Spirit and speak the language of it.

Reactions: TonyM
In PA, you can still see hex designs on the sides of barns. They are made by the Pennsylvania Dutch people. Historically, I am not sure why they are used, but some think it was for superstitious reasons, and others think they are just to look pretty. People do drink a lot of beer up here, and some regional foods are Pierogies, and steak sandwiches, and some common sweets are Shoofly pie (molasses pie) kiffles ( small pastries with a cream cheese dough and filled with fruit preserves) and nut tossies ( little tarts filled with a sweet nut concoction.) A tradition is to have pork and sauerkraut for the New Year. That's all I can think of for now.

In PA, you can still see hex designs on the sides of barns. They are made by the Pennsylvania Dutch people. Historically, I am not sure why they are used, but some think it was for superstitious reasons, and others think they are just to look pretty. People do drink a lot of beer up here, and some regional foods are Pierogies, and steak sandwiches, and some common sweets are Shoofly pie (molasses pie) kiffles ( small pastries with a cream cheese dough and filled with fruit preserves) and nut tossies ( little tarts filled with a sweet nut concoction.) A tradition is to have pork and sauerkraut for the New Year. That's all I can think of for now.
Now I'm hungry. :p

Reactions: garnetsilver