Let's talk about the Pope

Firek, I won't go into my conservative bonafides , but I have no problem with Vatican 2,because doctrine was not changed. Mass and architecture may look different in some places, and good gravy did some run wild with V2, but that has been reigned in big time. As for many current social issues,and wishing that the modern Church will change to reflect the times. It won't because it cant. Doctrine won't bend to the zeitgeist. That's why we have seen so many schisms. Personally, I say let them go, sorry if we aren't liberal or conservative enough.

G.K Chesterton said, "Catholic Church is the only thing that frees a man from degrading slavery of being a child of his age."

And that is all I will say. Except, The Catholic Church also can't sell off it's treasures to help the poor .# 1. Jesus had some strong advice about that matter.
I believe the gentleman I spoke to about it was mad about more than just this one thing, but I've heard a long rant just about the priest facing the congregation. I guess the symbolism was important to him. I'm not sure what else it could have been.

Reactions: Debi
I'm glad we have such different views. Makes for good afternoon reading :) I'm not big on TV (don't even have cable or anything). Is all the Fox coverage all pretty similar?
It varies a bit from host to host, but for the most part, I'm HEARING positive comments. Haven't really been that focused on it..it's just been kind of on in the background around here.

Reactions: Firek
I was blown away by the Fox article that called him false prophet. I thought they'd be doing a much more delicate dance around this.
That article was actually written by a devout Catholic, DoTell. Judge Napalitano is a Catholic, which goes to show you once again that even people within a particular faith may have issues with interpretation of dogma and doctrine.

Now, as I'm friends with a nun, let me tell you...even those within the clergy themselves often disagree on points and issues. What they keep an eye on is GOD and LOVE.....let no one stand before those two things. It's something we can ALL agree on here, I think.

about more than just this one thing, but I've heard a long rant just about the priest facing the congregation. I guess the symbolism was important to him. I'm not sure what else it could have been.
Firek, sorry you went through that rant, but now you have a taste of my world. Rants :(. It's funny how people can be so dogmatic about things that aren't even Dogma.
There is a comedy tape about the church stuff people complain about, with the moral being go to church and try to get the big things right. "The music is too old fashioned / too modern, the pews are too hard / too soft, the Priest faces the congregation / or away from , kneelers are removed / why are the kneelers still here?, the tabernacle is too close / too far from the alter, communion in the hand / on the tongue, the Mary statue is taller than the Joseph, the Holy Water is too wet... ................".:confused: I am a proud & patient member of a very disorganized religion.:) It's like a big Thanksgivings Day table, and every relative is just a little screwy, and you hope it all works out.