Can you Communicate with plants?

Staff, Mods, I don’t know if this is in the right section or not….
I bought this Areca palm back in 2000. Areca palms are on the very top of removing chemicals from the air, etc. very good houseplant to have. When I bought it, it was only 7 inches tall. It has survived many…S. La winters. A few nights when, below freezing, it was outside. But until 5 years ago, it was outside 24/7 unless the temp dropped below 32. It is indoor only now. I started out with 8 plants. She….is the last one. You read that right. She. I’m telling you, this plant talks to me. I sense the plant as a female vibration for whatever reason. She tells me when she needs water…..She loves to be out in rainstorms. She will ask to put her out in them. Sometimes she doesn’t. I swear I can put my finger on her leaves and feel happiness and gratitude to me, for caring for her all these years. I’m happy to report she is now a full 48 inches tall! I’ve said many times, if I’m ever homeless, all I need is one particular guitar, my dirt bike and this plant!
Yesterday, I bought a new fern from Home Depot. I joked last night about it yelling at me and causing a scene. While this story is quite… embellished for the laughs, the main order of events did in fact, happen. When I put this plant down and started to walk out with another, this fern was unhappy. Even offended. I don’t know, if it knew, I could feel it but, I did. That’s how I knew… it was the right one. I’ve included pics of both.
Oh I see it now. Thats a good looking plant, tell him or her I love the look. So green and leafy. lol

Don't let it hear you, shh. Is it a girl or a boy plant?
Honestly, I have been afraid to tune in, in fear of what they might say. Teenager. Boy, my impression.

Gotta make sure he doesn't hang out with the "wrong crowd of plants", Lol

Reactions: Lynne
My girl is upset…. She’s dropping leaves everywhere and I don’t know why…. I’ve never in 23 years seen her do this. I’ve been really different…. the last few weeks. My energy is all over the place. Erratic.
03459D45-A76E-401D-885F-D32C5B76D31D.jpeg

Wonder if she’s feeling it…

Last edited:
My girl is upset…. She’s dropping leaves everywhere and I don’t know why…. I’ve never in 23 years seen her do this. I’ve been really different…. the last few weeks. My energy is all over the place. Erratic. View attachment 47947
Wonder if she’s feeling it…
Get that girl a bigger pot for heaven's sake! When they drop leaves like that it's normally a drainage/water/roots problem. Be sure she has a lot of drainage. If you recently moved her from inside to outside, that may also be part of it. But she needs a bigger pair of pants for her roots!

I was told once that plants like opera music but later on I heard heavy metal. I talk to mine, including vegetables and apologise when I harvest them or cut down a living tree. I was cutting a damaged limb off a gum tree once and saying, sorry mate when I realized the neighbor was looking at me weird, lol. I don't care as I talk to all my animals all the time and rarely the neighbors, lol.

I was told once that plants like opera music but later on I heard heavy metal. I talk to mine, including vegetables and apologise when I harvest them or cut down a living tree. I was cutting a damaged limb off a gum tree once and saying, sorry mate when I realized the neighbor was looking at me weird, lol. I don't care as I talk to all my animals all the time and rarely the neighbors, lol.
Bravo Oz! Your my people! I do too. I've read that plants will change if you speak kindly to them, and react negatively if you scream or yell at them. Same with music. Plants are said to react positively to classical music. And any time, like you, I've cut a small sapling, I feel like crap. Maybe you and I were trees in another life..... ;bg3

Bravo Oz! Your my people! I do too. I've read that plants will change if you speak kindly to them, and react negatively if you scream or yell at them. Same with music. Plants are said to react positively to classical music. And any time, like you, I've cut a small sapling, I feel like crap. Maybe you and I were trees in another life..... ;bg3
Maybe we were. It's a good argument when vegans accuse me of being cruel, eating animals. They don't have an answer when I tell them how sensitive plants are, lol. I think you sound very aware picking up on the plants, we are all connected and we do share 50% of our DNA with trees so it's not that strange.

Reactions: Selectric and Lynne
Maybe we were. It's a good argument when vegans accuse me of being cruel, eating animals. They don't have an answer when I tell them how sensitive plants are, lol. I think you sound very aware picking up on the plants, we are all connected and we do share 50% of our DNA with trees so it's not that strange.
I believe that. Vegans.......geeez. Oz, its 11pm there in Australia. What are you doing up? Lol Been hanging with all nighter Selectric too much?? Lol