Your Experiences with Celebrities?

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
What were your best and worst experiences when meeting or in the presence of a celebrity? In general, "celebrity" can be taken to mean anyone well known to the public at large, or at least a segment of it. Sports, entertainment, politics, academics, media, business/industry, authors, military............

My only memorable encounter was with Leonard Nimoy in 1974 - I was 12. He was the invited celebrity talent at a car show. He gave a couple short talks and then sold authographed headshots. He was kind enough to come down off the stage when I asked him to pose with me for a photo.

OK, my story of meeting with greatness is a bit weird. Our local TV station had a reporter who traveled places for on air fun interviews with his very famous little beagle dog Barney. This was out of Indianapolis. Dick Wolfsie and Barney came to visit for on air segments at our hospital. I was in charge of this event. I got dozens of donuts to put in the coffee area so that visitors (like the hospital CEO) and Dick could have a snack between segments.

Now, I was under the impression that Barney was a well behaved and well trained dog. NOPE. Dick walks in and Barney is off and running everywhere. Staff is running around all over trying to contain this dog while Dick says, "Oh, he's fine! Just let him roam."

Long story short, while Dick was interviewing live on air with the CEO, I was doing the Heimlich on Barney, who had tried to eat all the donuts at once and choked. Dog saved, and I improvised a dang leash with O2 tubing!

Met Manafest at YC 2013 in Edmonton. He signed my hat and named the tree frog on it. He seems cool.

I met a Brigadier General in the Canadian Army. This was when I was in cadets. He asked me if i wanted to go into the military. When I said not really he gave me an indifferent look but I knew he was somewhat disappointed. The sound of his medals ringing like bells really changed the energy in the room :eek:

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman