What's going to happen in September?

J
This may be what I was thinking of.
Editor's Update (March 6): Asteroid 2014 DX110 flew safely by Earth Tuesday and was spotted by the Slooh online skywatching website using its half-meter telescope. You can see the initial image above. You can see a video of asteroid 2014 DX110 here captured by the Virtual Telescope Project.

A newfound asteroid will buzz close by Earth today (March 5), flying safely between our planet and the orbit of the moon, and you can follow the space rock encounter live online.

The asteroid 2014 DX110 will zip by Earth at 4 p.m. EST (2100 GMT) today, just days after its discovery on Feb. 28. NASA officials say it poses no threat to the Earth.
Interesting! I gotta admit, I drew a blank with this one. Though now that I think of it, there may have been one in 2011 or 2012 that passed by pretty close as well. Not sure if it was less than a lunar distance, but I'll see what's online.

14 minutes and counting, then comes liftoff....no I mean time to begin digesting of your posts,
I think it is soooo interesting to come across a forum for Art Bell fans that also has an intelligent and civil group of Art Bell fans !!
This "public" forum thing is really new to me, this is my second, and I must admit my first was most my last.....
Lack of any qualities I was expecting from Art Bell fans....
Than you again Cashcleaner...
Curandero81

Reactions: Indigo and Debi
J
Interesting! I gotta admit, I drew a blank with this one. Though now that I think of it, there may have been one in 2011 or 2012 that passed by pretty close as well. Not sure if it was less than a lunar distance, but I'll see what's online.
I guess this drew my attention as I always thought (but what do I know ...certainly not a very knowledgeable astronomer) there could never. E a "missed" big guy out there headed our way.
Your explainatiin of how this might occur was fascinating (I would have never thought of) !!
Thank you .... again
Curandero81

Reactions: Indigo and Debi
Cashcleaner,
Thank again for you posts...still digesting !!!
I NOW have another question I have OFTEN thought of....what is exactly the difference between an astronomer and an astrophysicist ?
Curandero81

Reactions: Indigo
Cashcleaner,
Thank again for you posts...still digesting !!!
I NOW have another question I have OFTEN thought of....what is exactly the difference between an astronomer and an astrophysicist ?
Curandero81

Astrophysics is the branch of astronomy concerned with the physical processes associated with the celestial bodies and the intervening regions of space. It deals principally with the energy of stellar systems and the relation between this energy and the evolution of the system.

So, astronomy is sort of a top level science that covers any scientific explorations of space beyond our atmosphere and astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that is concerned with the actual physics of stars, planets, black-holes, etc. , their formation, evolution and ultimately their future.

For example, if you have a telescope in your backyard and you like to observe the night sky and make star charts and learn about our solar system then you are an amateur astronomer but if you like to use equations to calculate how big does a star have to be in order to become a black hole one day - well then you are an amateur astrophysicist.

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae296.cfm

Last edited:
I guess this drew my attention as I always thought (but what do I know ...certainly not a very knowledgeable astronomer) there could never be a "missed" big guy out there headed our way.
Your explanation of how this might occur was fascinating (I would have never thought of) !!
Thank you .... again
Curandero81

Well, I wouldn't say that there is zero risk of a potentially catastrophic NEO sneaking up on us and taking us by surprise, but the bigger they are, the easier it is for teams to spot and track. One thing I will say, though, is that currently if we do detect something and plot it as a threat, we still haven't quite figured out what exactly to do in response. I'm in the camp of "send up a nuke or two and deflect the rock", but there are a multitude of factors to consider with that approach.

EDIT: I did a bit of searching and there have actually been quite a few rocks that have passed by us closer than a lunar distance. They just never really got a lot of attention because they were pretty small and likely would have burnt up or exploded when they came into contact with the atmosphere (by the way, that happens A LOT). A few ones ranged above 100 square metres in size, but most were your average small guys.

Although the sci-fi geek in me would like us to go one step further and direct the object into an orbit where we can study it relatively up-close and land some probes on it. In the end, it could be a practical method to mine these things for the potentially rare substances they comprise.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't say that there is zero risk of a potentially catastrophic NEO sneaking up on us and taking us by surprise, but the bigger they are, the easier it is for teams to spot and track. One thing I will say, though, is that currently if we do detect something and plot it as a threat, we still haven't quite figured out what exactly to do in response. I'm in the camp of "send up a nuke or two and deflect the rock", but there are a multitude of factors to consider with that approach.

EDIT: I did a bit of searching and there have actually been quite a few rocks that have passed by us closer than a lunar distance. They just never really got a lot of attention because they were pretty small and likely would have burnt up or exploded when they came into contact with the atmosphere (by the ay, that happens A LOT). A few ones ranged above 100 square metres in size, but most were your average small guys.

Although the sci-fi geek in me would like us to go one step further and direct the object into an orbit where we can study it relatively up-close and land some probes on it. In the end, it could be a practical method to mine these things for the potentially rare substances they comprise.
Are not the Chinese trying now to alter the course of one to an earth orbit for a trial mining operation ??
And I always thought nuking one would result in many impacts (if large enough...and impact areas would be totally unknown .... )
I believe somewhere I had read that perhaps mining for minerals or water are various possibilities ???

Are not the Chinese trying now to alter the course of one to an earth orbit for a trial mining operation ??
And I always thought nuking one would result in many impacts (if large enough...and impact areas would be totally unknown .... )
I believe somewhere I had read that perhaps mining for minerals or water are various possibilities ???
Mining is going to be the next hydro frack. Now this time they can destroy space, the tides, and the entire human race when they decide to do it to the moon.

Reactions: surge

There are actually quite a few proposals floating around regarding asteroid mining. The I believe the Chinese have actually gone so far as to name specific rocks they'd like to test the idea on, but obviously all this is several years - if not decades in the future. The Chinese are more focused on expanding their manned missions and possibly getting their own station up and running.

As for nuking a rock, the idea is not to actually score a direct hit, but to let off a nuke or a serious of explosions near it to nudge it off-course. You're absolutely right in that if we actually try to blow the thing up, it would probably result in just creating a larger area of effect due to one solid piece becoming multiple pieces of debris. A well-placed explosion near the rock can knock it off it's trajectory without creating too much of a mess.

As for what we could find, we already know of several objects that have pretty significant deposits of gold, platinum, and heavier metals. There's also rare silicates and gases as well - and also water like you said. Obviously not all asteroids are the same, but telescopic spectroanalysis has given us a good look at what a few notable ones are made of.

Reactions: surge and Debi