What's going to happen in September?

Cashcleaner,
Thank you SO MUCH for answering....no I have to go check out your suggested site for more info. I live in a University town (my alma mater)...and I feel as though I am conversing with a grad student or professor !!!
Thank you again
I some times also wonder about all the space junk orbiting the earth...is it all contained within the same orbit ? Or is it everywhere ? And how is it not a problem for space craft ?? Or is it ??

Reactions: Indigo
This may be what I was thinking of.
Editor's Update (March 6): Asteroid 2014 DX110 flew safely by Earth Tuesday and was spotted by the Slooh online skywatching website using its half-meter telescope. You can see the initial image above. You can see a video of asteroid 2014 DX110 here captured by the Virtual Telescope Project.

A newfound asteroid will buzz close by Earth today (March 5), flying safely between our planet and the orbit of the moon, and you can follow the space rock encounter live online.

The asteroid 2014 DX110 will zip by Earth at 4 p.m. EST (2100 GMT) today, just days after its discovery on Feb. 28. NASA officials say it poses no threat to the Earth.

After viewing your suggested site...I had no idea at all about the quantity of NEO there were ....but I shall take full advantage of your assurance and NOT let that information keep me up at night (I shall leave that up to Art Bell)

Please please do not be upset with me as I sometimes get carried away and instead of just thinking about a question I type....
No offense if you want to ignore my ramblings....
Just excited to read such posts as your's....

Reactions: Indigo and Debi
LOL! It's wonderful to see someone so engaged in the knowledge, curandero81! You just type away with your thoughts! ;)

LOL! It's wonderful to see someone so engaged in the knowledge, curandero81! You just type away with your thoughts! ;)
No knowledge here, but thirst for....Cashcleaner is an ASTRONOMY BUFF !!!! I just got a little too excited when I read his post...as I said I felt as though he was a grad student or Prof. !!
Maybe too excited....but that site he posted....everyone needs to check it out !!!

And those gamma ray burst (hasn't the sun been "misbehaving" lately)...what if we got a big one today like the one from the 19th century that fried telegraph wires and juiced up rails ?
Would that be less or more of a problem than a nuclear EMP ??
Your view please.

Oh man, what a question. You know what, I'm gonna let the guys at Exit Mundi explain what GRBs do and what their potential for damage is. It's a pretty lengthy explanation but they do a good job breaking it all down.

EXIT MUNDI (Click on Gamma Bursts on the side menu)

I'll say one thing though: It's absolutely true that many astronomers and astrophysicists believe them to be the leading cause of death in the universe.

Now, luckily for us our Sun - and indeed most stars in the Milk Way don't appear to have the right size and composition to be GRB candidates, although there may have been a few that went off in the galaxy's past and could have actually been responsible for a few global extinction events. For the most part, though, we observe them going off in other galaxies. It can be rather...well...sad actually. We're talking about entire swaths of galactic space being completely sterilized of all life in certain cases - of course that's if life could even gain a foothold in such volatile galaxies.

Bah. It's kinda depressing.

But anyway, for us on Earth, the Sun just doesn't meet the criteria to generate a GRB, and even if it did, it's nowhere near the end of it's lifespan. We got around 5 Billion years before the Sun transitions into a Red Giant.

That said, however, the Sun is still a very active star and while it's not going to explode or anything like that, a well-place flare or CME could cause considerable damage to electronic systems here on Earth or in orbit as you pointed out. I suppose an EMP would be a pretty good comparison to make when talking about the worse-case effects of either. Even relatively simple electrical systems (like telegraph) could be burned-out. The Earth's magnetic field does a pretty good job at deflecting charged particles and rays streaming from the Sun, but especially large ejections of matter and radiation can get through and enter the atmosphere where they can do significant damage.

I appreciate so much your posts, Cashcleaner, however before I digest your most recent I need to get to the tonight's site...while I relax in a bath..
While listening to Art
Thank you again..I perhaps will want to PM you if agreeable to chat...you really seem like an interesting individual !!

Cashcleaner,
Thank you SO MUCH for answering....no I have to go check out your suggested site for more info. I live in a University town (my alma mater)...and I feel as though I am conversing with a grad student or professor !!!
Thank you again
I some times also wonder about all the space junk orbiting the earth...is it all contained within the same orbit ? Or is it everywhere ? And how is it not a problem for space craft ?? Or is it ??

Unfortunately, a lot of it is spread out in various bands and at various distances above the Earth, though there are certain regions with more debris than others because that's where we do the most activity, like putting satellites in orbit or servicing probes. We have a pretty good handle on the big pieces. Even satellites that have stopped operating long age or large pieces of debris are tracked and that info is shared readily amongst the space agencies of the world. However, there are numerous items which we simply cannot locate and isolate because they are going too fast, are too small, or both. Again, space is a big place, even in low orbit. So collisions with spacecraft and satellites by these pieces of debris are unlikely - but the potential for massive damage is actually somewhat high if a hit does occur.

It's a problem that astronauts and the ground control guys are concerned about, but not enough to stop them sending more manned rockets up to the ISS.

Reactions: curandero81