What Sci-fi movie...

OK, how about The Matrix? The Terminator Movies? Nothing, guys?
The matrix and terminator series both made you think. And Jacobs ladder that charleh mentioned was really one that made me wonder do you still live out your life no matter when you die...that was a good one.

Dark City! The director's cut is best as the theatrical cut explains what's happening up front in a voiceover rather than explaining it near the end. It's like a better film noir Matrix without Keano Reeves. Most movies have a commentary by the actors or maybe the director. The director's cut of Dark City DVD I have has one by Roger Ebert gushing about it and pointing out all the great things about it. I agree with him!

Bill and Ted's either movie. Keano Reeves should have quit while he was ahead. :)

Red Dwarf (TV series, sci-fi sitcom) Season one and two are more sci-fi and I love them even more than the rest. If you don't know it don't look it up! Just dive in! The show was not advertised and just snuck out so most missed the start and never saw the first episode unspoiled. I've never met anyone who saw it unspoiled and I'd love to hear a reaction from anyone who didn't know the premise of the show as episode one has a twist that was wasted on 99.9% of anybody who ever saw it (including me). Netflix has it in the UK. I don't know about elsewhere.
Anybody?

Oh, if you do watch it, the episodes are in broadcast order and out of sequence. Watch S1 episode 1 then 3, 4, 2, 5, 6.
There's also a bonus cartoon art script reading for the original episode 2 called "Bodysnatcher" which is on Youtube and is actually really good and worth watching after episode 1.

The Thing (1982) Based on a 1937 short story "Who Goes There" which invented survival horror, paranoid sci-fi and really alien aliens who weren't just weedy men in silver costumes or hot babes in scimpier silver costumes. The movie is a very faithful adaptation with some of the greatest special effects ever, an amazing score, great everything else and an eerie performance from a wolf/dog mongrel. It's also the first use of a saucer shaped alien spaceship I've found!

Lots more but time for bed...

I can beat anyone on Doctor Who trivia. I love the books audiodramas and comics too. And I had a long embaressing conversation with the 5th Doctor once. I'd have to check the episode lists for the season numbers for recommendations.

Oh! More TV. The Prisoner! How could I forget?

And an American show to show I'm not hopelessly parochial.
THE. INVADERS.
It began one night. David Vincent.
Architect. Was driving into a very long episode of The Twilight Zone...
I still check people to see if all their fingers bend. I'm looking at you, Spock with your 'Vulcan salute'!

Last edited:
I agree with Benway...Dark City is a very interesting sci-fi movie. It is very much a mystery and a thriller at the same time.

I do think the ending is a little contrived. But the rest of the slowly unraveling action and the premise overall is great.

Reactions: Paintman
So, Charleh, you know about this movie of which I speak ?
I've been talking that up since the old old Art Bell days.

I can beat anyone on Doctor Who trivia. I love the books audiodramas and comics too. And I had a long embaressing conversation with the 5th Doctor once. I'd have to check the episode lists for the season numbers for recommendations.
I still check people to see if all their fingers bend. I'm looking at you, Spock with your 'Vulcan salute'!

Who -- me?

My fingers have joints. However, as a kid, I discovered I could do the 'live long and prosper' sign, even with both hands at once.

I used to know some Doctor Who trivia. I saw every episode multiple times up to Colin Baker and then got sidetracked watching other things, so my viewing after Peter Davison has been inconsistent. Doctor Who was probably my all time favorite TV show.