Two Kinds Of People...

I usually start reading the directions to the point of taking an inventory of all parts received. Then I pause, make room for all parts and start skimming the instructions. From there I either just start assembly or carefully go step by step depending on the assembly complexity and/or tools required.

I usually start reading the directions to the point of taking an inventory of all parts received. Then I pause, make room for all parts and start skimming the instructions. From there I either just start assembly or carefully go step by step depending on the assembly complexity and/or tools required.
I was going to say the same thing. I may not follow the instructions completely, but I now always inventory/identify ever part before I start putting something together. I got burned once building a stand alone, multi-level shelf system for Mrs Duke. I was on the last shelf when I realized I was short one set of hardware. I couldn't take it back since it was 80% built, and I didn't like my chances of getting a new set from the manufacturer in whatever country it was made. I wound up taking the remaining set (of two required) to a local hardware store where I eventually was able to put together the screws/washers/nuts I needed. Wasn't expensive, but it was time consuming.

I was going to say the same thing. I may not follow the instructions completely, but I now always inventory/identify ever part before I start putting something together. I got burned once building a stand alone, multi-level shelf system for Mrs Duke. I was on the last shelf when I realized I was short one set of hardware. I couldn't take it back since it was 80% built, and I didn't like my chances of getting a new set from the manufacturer in whatever country it was made. I wound up taking the remaining set (of two required) to a local hardware store where I eventually was able to put together the screws/washers/nuts I needed. Wasn't expensive, but it was time consuming.

i dont very often buy furniture type kits, would rather build them myself or get old pieces to refinish from thrift shops or antique flea markets. but just from your experience, anything i get that has multiple parts i also inventory everything and sort it all out before starting.

My youngest son is dyslexic. It is incredibly difficult, even after reading directions, to put things together correctly although he loves to do battle with assembly...lol

The best "not gonna bother with instructions" came not long ago. I purchased a futon from Walmart and had it shipped. He got it out of the box, opened it up, and said, what! No legs? Mom, you're gonna have to ship it back!

After READING the instructions, it plainly says, "Unzip pouch on underside of futon for leg attachments."

Tex , ah man I can agree with everything you say. My grandpa was an industrial painting contractor.Chemical plants around Chicago.
He was very proud of his second grade education and the million bucks he retired with in 1969.

Sadly this did not rub off on me.

But yeah reading the directions is a good thing. Mom was selling her house last fall and my brother and I had to do a whole bunch of stuff that we did not know how to do.

My childhood friend is a union Master Carpenter. He is in his mid-50s and carries the clipboard and pretty much builds hospitals. So he gets into a bunch of stuff he does not know about. And while my brother and I did the work he would read the directions.
Very impressive.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "how to" videos on YouTube as an alternative to written instructions. Not only have I used them to walk me through putting things together, I've also used them in purchasing decisions when considering which of a number of products to buy.

It depends on complexity (and if I can lay my hands on my reading glasses immediately lol). A quick glance usually lets me know right away if I can get through something intuitively, or if perhaps a precise assembly or starting sequence must be followed.

If there isn't a "quick start guide" included, I will usually defer to the instructions. I'm boning up on Swedish and Chinese.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "how to" videos on YouTube as an alternative to written instructions. Not only have I used them to walk me through putting things together, I've also used them in purchasing decisions when considering which of a number of products to buy.
youtube is great with the how-to vid's, i use that a lot on all kinds of stuff. and i also watch review videos before making a purchase on a lot of things, especially electronics

I always read the instructions. Even if I'm absolutely sure I know what to do just by looking at everything I still read the instructions. It takes just a bit longer but I've never had stop halfway and try to figure something out or realize that I need to take everything apart because I missed a step. It's part of that same "measure twice, cut once" mentality I have.

In another twist of stereotype, I used to to stop and ask for directions when I got lost. On my very first date with my wife it really impressed her when I not only admitted I was lost but also stopped to ask someone how to find the address. Although she was a little surprised that instead of stopping at a gas station for directions I chose a pizza place. But the way I see it, pizza delivery drivers have to know the city to do their job but gas station attendants don't. So whenever I got lost my go-to was a pizza place. I'd walk in and ask "Do you guys deliver? If you had to deliver to this address, how would you get there?"