Two Kinds Of People...

YouTube has definitely had a huge impact on this kind of thing. There have been times where I have looked up "how to" instructions and after seeing several pages of written instructions I often just switch and look for a "how to" video instead.

A few years ago I briefly considered making my own YouTube channel for how to videos. I was going to call it "Who's Your Daddy" and it was just going to be a bunch of Dad advice. Something kids or young adults could watch for stuff they should have learned from their Dad or new Dad's can watch for stuff they should teach their kids. It was going to range from things like How to tie a tie, How to change a tire, How to shave, How to cook a fried egg, How to build a campfire, How to tie your shoes, ect. Never went through with it, partially because I figured I would either run out of stuff to do pretty quick or get bogged down by people telling me that I'm doing these things the "wrong" way.
Great idea. Not to late to do it !

Reactions: Selectric
The set of directions...mainly the 'template' for hanging an under cabinet microwave...i THROW away lol. They have to be the worst ever. I'll trust my tape measure before that flimsy piece of junk paper lol.

Something that was an annoyance to me was the people that tried to install something themselves and then when it wouldn't work they would call me to"repair" it. If you are called to repair something you sort of have the idea that it WAS working but has stopped. Usually, AFTER I find that it wasn't installed correctly and could not have EVER worked, they fess up that they had tried to install it and that it had never worked. I usually at that point would UNinstall it and then reinstall it right. A word to the wise, those three wires in the back are not interchangeable. Especially with devices operated by computers you need to have the polarity right. It would be easy if they would stick to the old black is negative, white is positive and green is the ground...BUT they don't always do that. ???

I'm definitely an instruction reader. I get very edgy when people don't read them because I'm convinced they will miss something crucial. The only person I will allow to skip a few steps is my dad. That's because he was an engineer and I know if it goes wrong he'll be able to fix it!

I'm definitely an instruction reader. I get very edgy when people don't read them because I'm convinced they will miss something crucial. The only person I will allow to skip a few steps is my dad. That's because he was an engineer and I know if it goes wrong he'll be able to fix it!
He sounds like a fine man.

Something that was an annoyance to me was the people that tried to install something themselves and then when it wouldn't work they would call me to"repair" it. If you are called to repair something you sort of have the idea that it WAS working but has stopped. Usually, AFTER I find that it wasn't installed correctly and could not have EVER worked, they fess up that they had tried to install it and that it had never worked. I usually at that point would UNinstall it and then reinstall it right. A word to the wise, those three wires in the back are not interchangeable. Especially with devices operated by computers you need to have the polarity right. It would be easy if they would stick to the old black is negative, white is positive and green is the ground...BUT they don't always do that. ???
I had an old man call our shop and blatantly say I Don't Know What YOU Guys Did?! LOL. I recently wired his home so i knew everything was correct. I thoroughly test everything, not to mention it had all the inspections and passed first time. He 'claimed' we wired his outlet wrong and it was blowing his circuit breaker. Upon me going there and instantly showing him the switched receptacle worked perfectly, i told him his lamp must be faulty. LOL, so...he then tells me how there is nothing wrong with his lamp..HE just fixed it rofl. I convinced him to let me open it up and of course..i found ALL three wires under ONE wirenut. Hmmm....Boom! Instant dead short my friend. I fixed and 'miraculously' it worked again lol.

Reactions: Lynne