Two Kinds Of People...

I always read the instructions. Even if I'm absolutely sure I know what to do just by looking at everything I still read the instructions. It takes just a bit longer but I've never had stop halfway and try to figure something out or realize that I need to take everything apart because I missed a step. It's part of that same "measure twice, cut once" mentality I have.

In another twist of stereotype, I used to to stop and ask for directions when I got lost. On my very first date with my wife it really impressed her when I not only admitted I was lost but also stopped to ask someone how to find the address. Although she was a little surprised that instead of stopping at a gas station for directions I chose a pizza place. But the way I see it, pizza delivery drivers have to know the city to do their job but gas station attendants don't. So whenever I got lost my go-to was a pizza place. I'd walk in and ask "Do you guys deliver? If you had to deliver to this address, how would you get there?"
I stopped at firehouses for directions for the same reason.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "how to" videos on YouTube as an alternative to written instructions.

I learn better from a printed page than a video, my mind wanders during videos and I can't make notes in the margins.

I have picked up a few tidbits from instructional videos but not many.

Rings are usually pretty easy. They only give you so many screws. The long ones to mount the straight or turned frame, the smaller guys to mount the Ring to frame and the one odd one (star) to tighten cover. The one that gets people is you have to charge the battery (If it has one) before install lol.
Yep, the smaller ones act like they are not quite long enough. I have no problem with the battery or putting it in to the ring device. It is charged and waiting for me to put it in.

My youngest son is dyslexic. It is incredibly difficult, even after reading directions, to put things together correctly although he loves to do battle with assembly...lol

The best "not gonna bother with instructions" came not long ago. I purchased a futon from Walmart and had it shipped. He got it out of the box, opened it up, and said, what! No legs? Mom, you're gonna have to ship it back!

After READING the instructions, it plainly says, "Unzip pouch on underside of futon for leg attachments."
My dyslexic grandson is a genius at putting things together. He doesn't read the directions, just inventories the items and looks at a picture of the finished product. he also makes things from his imagination. He is going to school to get a welder's certificate now.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "how to" videos on YouTube as an alternative to written instructions. Not only have I used them to walk me through putting things together, I've also used them in purchasing decisions when considering which of a number of products to buy.
YouTube has definitely had a huge impact on this kind of thing. There have been times where I have looked up "how to" instructions and after seeing several pages of written instructions I often just switch and look for a "how to" video instead.

A few years ago I briefly considered making my own YouTube channel for how to videos. I was going to call it "Who's Your Daddy" and it was just going to be a bunch of Dad advice. Something kids or young adults could watch for stuff they should have learned from their Dad or new Dad's can watch for stuff they should teach their kids. It was going to range from things like How to tie a tie, How to change a tire, How to shave, How to cook a fried egg, How to build a campfire, How to tie your shoes, ect. Never went through with it, partially because I figured I would either run out of stuff to do pretty quick or get bogged down by people telling me that I'm doing these things the "wrong" way.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "how to" videos on YouTube as an alternative to written instructions. Not only have I used them to walk me through putting things together, I've also used them in purchasing decisions when considering which of a number of products to buy.
My 11 year old grandson has been using Youtube videos to learn how to do things since he was 6. He started making sock puppets, then paper bag puppets, and then little marionets made out of random things. He even taught himself to sew on the eyes of the sock puppets.