Open Lines The downfall of civilization

Okay, I have to plead guilty to having my phone out in the waiting room at the doctor's office. If there is someone I can strike up a conversation with then I'll do that, but if not I'll open my phone and read a book while I'm waiting.
Well that would be the same as reading a magazine in the office. I guess I meant texting and gaming more. Like any tool, I just think the phone is abused, and like anything needs to be used intelligently and in moderation - especially the kids.

Yeah, everywhere I go - doctor's office, etc., I just sit and people watch as I don't have to be constantly entertained. If I'm sitting waiting somewhere, I will either be the ONLY one without my head buried in a phone, or maybe one or two others at most not doing it, but even that is getting more rare all the time. I just don't get the addiction to have to constantly be connected and entertained by every little thing that goes on on their social sites or whatever they're looking at. I feel really sorry - and scared - about the people who will grow up now never knowing a life without constant electronic interference in their lives. These people can't just sit and contemplate life, or have an imagination, because there is no break in the texting, surfing, talking, or gaming.
Since these scenarios of phone-free people watching are becoming more and more rare, I think it has become the polite thing to take out your phone & browse instead of analyzing other people (which is what I will do if I do not look at something). When someone is just sitting in a waiting room, doing nothing, I get weirded out...the polite thing to do is ignore everyone around you, at least appear to do so, even if you are still acutely aware of your surroundings. I think most young people are aware, and absorbed into the phone, I don't know maybe I'm an odd multitasker (the ADHD generation and you've got TV & computers to thank). I've seen my sister in law catch a falling bottle from her kid while on the smartphone & put it back in the kids mouth. Pure reflex, kid didn't even hesitate. It's where we are evolving. It's pretty alien I'll give it that. But that's what people used to think about the Internet in general too. There was some alien show and they had a specific network connecting all the alien kids on earth together and eventually that went to everyone. They were locked in 24hrs a day, but there was not less communication going on - there was more...just like I'm sitting here talking to you all, & also the people who surround me.

Since these scenarios of phone-free people watching are becoming more and more rare, I think it has become the polite thing to take out your phone & browse instead of analyzing other people (which is what I will do if I do not look at something). When someone is just sitting in a waiting room, doing nothing, I get weirded out...the polite thing to do is ignore everyone around you, at least appear to do so, even if you are still acutely aware of your surroundings. I think most young people are aware, and absorbed into the phone, I don't know maybe I'm an odd multitasker (the ADHD generation and you've got TV & computers to thank). I've seen my sister in law catch a falling bottle from her kid while on the smartphone & put it back in the kids mouth. Pure reflex, kid didn't even hesitate. It's where we are evolving. It's pretty alien I'll give it that. But that's what people used to think about the Internet in general too. There was some alien show and they had a specific network connecting all the alien kids on earth together and eventually that went to everyone. They were locked in 24hrs a day, but there was not less communication going on - there was more...just like I'm sitting here talking to you all, & also the people who surround me.
Great points, but I'm still the weirdo without the phone. :D I'm old-fashioned, and rather than ignore everyone around me, I still try to believe in striking up conversations with people - that's the way it used to be. People here have heard me rant about the dog park, and how all the drones walk around with their face buried in their phones rather than meeting people in the park.

I think there are a few that can multi-task, but not the majority. Tests show being on the phone texting is just like having had several shots of alcohol, and reaction time is diminished. Also, I have seen way too many YouTube videos showing texting people walk out into traffic, fall in holes, walk into things, and lets not forget kill people while texting and driving. I used to teach teens/young adults, and I can guarantee you there was no multi-tasking going on there! :p It may be the wave of the future, but I look at it as devolving, not evolving. I guess only time will tell, but I don't like what I am seeing.

Regarding the alien show, I would think if they were locked in 24 hours a day, there would be more communication, not less, as they were a captive audience and what else would there be to do? :alien:

Reactions: surge and Indigo
Great points, but I'm still the weirdo without the phone. :D I'm old-fashioned, and rather than ignore everyone around me, I still try to believe in striking up conversations with people - that's the way it used to be. People here have heard me rant about the dog park, and how all the drones walk around with their face buried in their phones rather than meeting people in the park.

I think there are a few that can multi-task, but not the majority. Tests show being on the phone texting is just like having had several shots of alcohol, and reaction time is diminished. Also, I have seen way too many YouTube videos showing texting people walk out into traffic, fall in holes, walk into things, and lets not forget kill people while texting and driving. I used to teach teens/young adults, and I can guarantee you there was no multi-tasking going on there! :p It may be the wave of the future, but I look at it as devolving, not evolving. I guess only time will tell, but I don't like what I am seeing.

Regarding the alien show, I would think if they were locked in 24 hours a day, there would be more communication, not less, as they were a captive audience and what else would there be to do? :alien:

It's the new Darwinism. Only the multitaskers survive!

That's dangerous at the dog park. I'd want to be uh, watching my dogs?

Reactions: Seahunter
I still try to believe in striking up conversations with people - that's the way it used to be.

One thing I've noticed is that when I try to engage a stranger in conversation, the reaction I get seems dependent on the age of the person. Older people are much more likely to talk, while the younger ones react as if you're bothering them. :rolleyes:

It's the new Darwinism. Only the multitaskers survive!

That's dangerous at the dog park. I'd want to be uh, watching my dogs?
LOL, yes - a whole new breed for Darwin Awards!

Yes, watching the dogs number one, and also watching so as not to step in number two! :p

Reactions: Debi and Indigo
One thing I've noticed is that when I try to engage a stranger in conversation, the reaction I get seems dependent on the age of the person. Older people are much more likely to talk, while the younger ones react as if you're bothering them. :rolleyes:
So true. I definitely try to gauge my target so as not to upset the chronologically-challenged ones. :p

Reactions: Debi and surge