The bridge

Sad man trying

Reaction score
Okay, I'm very sorry I haven't been much active lately. I had to go to a village for some volunteer work of making a bamboo bridge(we call them shanko) over a canal that separated it from the nearest city. Something happened within this time.

Bamboo bridges are generally very rickety, they are three or four bamboos wide, suspended over the water by bamboo platforms they are tied to with jute ropes. We had five columns, thus five knots.

We had almost finished building the bridge. But the moment we tied the last knot, the first came undone. It almost hit the heads of some bathing people, but thankfully a volunteer caught them before they could.

As we took care of that knot, the third came undone. The bridge wasn't equally supported so we couldn't leave it there.

Fixing the third, the first came undone again.

This Tom and Jerry went on till evening. If we tied them both at once, the came undone almost instantly. As we were about to give up, the village imam came forth and told us a long tale of a girl who had taken her life a few years ago in the very place we were building the bridge. He said her unrested spirit was doing this. He offered to tie some holy amulets(tabiz) on the bridge so that it doesn't happen again. Once he tied an holy amulets on each piller, we could tie them properly. By the time we were finished, it was almost 10 pm. And I swear i saw the amulets flicker into fire a few times. My girlfriend was working with us too, she complained about someone pulling her hair. It was far past midnight when we reached out dorm.

I found this experience odd.
Do you think there is some scientific explanation?
The ones I have mostly concern us having very poor manufacturing capabilities.
After all, this is our first bridge, all the other ones before were mostly earthen dams and raised school houses.

Last edited:
Reactions: garnetsilver
Perhaps some kind of gas escaped the canal and reacted with the copper from the amulet go cause fire.
Something acidic would cause hydrogen to form, which could get somehow ignited and make fire.

Maybe that's what the amulets did, suck up somekind of poisonous Marsh gas that was making us doozy and make the knots all wrong.
That'd also explain why the people would think that place is haunted

I’m believing the Imam. I think there was something paranormal going on. Thanks for sharing this with us. I’m so glad no one was hurt.

I’m believing the Imam. I think there was something paranormal going on. Thanks for sharing this with us. I’m so glad no one was hurt.

But let's first get it through the process of elimination, shall we?

Reactions: Lynne
I'm not sure that there is much in the way of a non-paranormal explanation for this if you know how to correctly tie a good knot. The flickering amulet, on the other hand, has several possibilities from reflections to several kinds of delayed chemical reactions that the shaman could have built into the amulets. Making little "additions" to their "magical" products and spells is a common practice for witch doctors, shamans, and various voodoo and mystical healers worldwide. I find that part a lot less mysterious than the knots that wouldn't stay tied. Understand I'm not saying that the Shaman was a fake or deceiving you. Even when you are legitimately doing something you need to "sell" it well. When I used to read tarot cards I always included some things that while they had no real effect on my reading they did sell it better.

Reactions: Lynne
I'm not sure that there is much in the way of a non-paranormal explanation for this if you know how to correctly tie a good knot. The flickering amulet, on the other hand, has several possibilities from reflections to several kinds of delayed chemical reactions that the shaman could have built into the amulets. Making little "additions" to their "magical" products and spells is a common practice for witch doctors, shamans, and various voodoo and mystical healers worldwide. I find that part a lot less mysterious than the knots that wouldn't stay tied. Understand I'm not saying that the Shaman was a fake or deceiving you. Even when you are legitimately doing something you need to "sell" it well. When I used to read tarot cards I always included some things that while they had no real effect on my reading they did sell it better.

He didn't get paid for it. In Islam it is prohibited to take payment for religious service.

It was a standard issue lashing knot. We made five turns.

Inconclusive.
But as long as there is no completely valid logical reason for this, I'm willing to believe it as paranormal.
From only having your description to go on , I gave you my opinion.