Sub carrying tourists to Titanic is missing

I find it hard to believe the craft has no independently powered distress/locator beacon. Some sort of electronic "pinger" similar to what we put on aircraft flight data recorders to aid in their recovery.
I was in total shock when I read this. WTH??? I think most ships are required to have at least emergency transmitters. A mini sub for sure should have one.

I was in total shock when I read this. WTH??? I think most ships are required to have at least emergency transmitters. A mini sub for sure should have one.
To clarify, I don't know the missing craft is not equipped with an emergency beacon/pinger.

My comment was based on not having heard or read of such a device or its role in finding the submersible. Compare that to all the discussion from countless sources about rescue forces looking for MH 370 listening for "pinging" from its cockpit voice and flight data recorders.

From the article:
After the announcement that the crew went missing, Pogue took to Twitter to further highlight some of the disconcerting facets of the submersible and OceanGate’s overall operation, including the fact that the craft—at least the one he went on—doesn’t have any kind of emergency location transmitter (ELT). These devices are typically carried aboard air and watercraft in case of emergencies, and emit distinct signals that allow rescuers to find lost and injured victims.

This is such a basic and essential item for nearly any sea voyage that it calls into question the decision-making ability of Rush and the company at large. Rush would later dismissively tell CBS that there was a limit to the amount of safety measures these vessels should have.

“You know, there’s a limit,” he told the broadcaster. “At some point, safety is just pure waste. I mean if you don’t just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed. Don’t get in your car. Don’t do anything. At some point, you’re going to take some risk and it really is a risk-reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules.”

That’s not the only damning revelation about the sub’s onboard technologies to come to light recently. In 2018, executives at other submersible vehicle companies signed a letter to Rush warning “the current ‘experimental’ approach” that the company was using to build its vessels like the Titan could result in “minor to catastrophic” issues, according to The New York Times.

From the article:
After the announcement that the crew went missing, Pogue took to Twitter to further highlight some of the disconcerting facets of the submersible and OceanGate’s overall operation, including the fact that the craft—at least the one he went on—doesn’t have any kind of emergency location transmitter (ELT). These devices are typically carried aboard air and watercraft in case of emergencies, and emit distinct signals that allow rescuers to find lost and injured victims.

This is such a basic and essential item for nearly any sea voyage that it calls into question the decision-making ability of Rush and the company at large. Rush would later dismissively tell CBS that there was a limit to the amount of safety measures these vessels should have.

“You know, there’s a limit,” he told the broadcaster. “At some point, safety is just pure waste. I mean if you don’t just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed. Don’t get in your car. Don’t do anything. At some point, you’re going to take some risk and it really is a risk-reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules.”

That’s not the only damning revelation about the sub’s onboard technologies to come to light recently. In 2018, executives at other submersible vehicle companies signed a letter to Rush warning “the current ‘experimental’ approach” that the company was using to build its vessels like the Titan could result in “minor to catastrophic” issues, according to The New York Times.
I'd expect a tad bit more enthusiasm/professionalism for 250,000 dollars a seat.......

I couldn't think of a worse way to go, I wouldn't even go into a sub on dry land, poor people.

• Hands Clapping
Reactions: Selectric and Paulm

To quote the article, "a glimmer of hope" for those aboard the submersible. Even if they find it, the question is can they get it to the surface in time.

I couldn't think of a worse way to go, I wouldn't even go into a sub on dry land, poor people.
I totally agree Oz. I can think of so many ways to go...that is not one of them. Me and a guy i work with happened to have that same conversation earlier. My heart goes out to them as i can't imagine what it is like to be and know in a situation like that. I see lawsuits out the ying-yang spawning from this and it wouldn't be the first time.

I totally agree Oz. I can think of so many ways to go...that is not one of them. Me and a guy i work with happened to have that same conversation earlier. My heart goes out to them as i can't imagine what it is like to be and know in a situation like that. I see lawsuits out the ying-yang spawning from this and it wouldn't be the first time.
This way out would be so lightning quick, you'd never know what happened. But yea, No subs, No cave diving, plus my fear of deep, dark water, The hell with all that. I hope...these people come back but, I just dont know if its even possible at this point.