Run!

Was once chased by a small herd of cows and a rogue donkey.

I think the very worst is horse flies, though. They're awful and so persistent - they won't be batted away and just keep coming. They can pierce your clothing and you can actually feel it when they bite you. Then you get a nasty, itchy lump for several weeks. Horrible things! Have had a few of those bite me.
I had a donkey, it was the nastiest animal. It killed 7 sheep I had in the paddock, a neighbor's bull terrier and crippled one of my dogs. It started attacking my kids so I sold him to a guy who castrated him and he ended up giving rides to kids at fairs, nice as.

I had a donkey, it was the nastiest animal. It killed 7 sheep I had in the paddock, a neighbor's bull terrier and crippled one of my dogs. It started attacking my kids so I sold him to a guy who castrated him and he ended up giving rides to kids at fairs, nice as.
Blimey!!! That sounds like one mean donkey :oops: Glad he got a new lease of life!

We were all afraid to do something to make the skunk angry.
Good to be afraid of them, the smell doesn't go away, but they often can be rabid. My dog got sprayed 2 weeks ago and she ran in the house. I grabbed her and threw her in her crate so I could get stuff to bathe her with but then I had to clean the crate. Now I lock the doggie door at night. I have smelled that skunk go by sometimes in my yard, sometimes in the neighbor's yard and even that smell doesn't go away.

This is another one we don't have. Have you ever smelled them and is it as awful as people say?
Yes, I have smelled them. Oddly enough, if they are some distance away it is not so bad. But up close it can be pretty awful and nearly impossible to get rid of! A friend of mine once hit a skunk while driving and the smell was dreadful; she ended up getting rid of the car.

Yes, I have smelled them. Oddly enough, if they are some distance away it is not so bad. But up close it can be pretty awful and nearly impossible to get rid of! A friend of mine once hit a skunk while driving and the smell was dreadful; she ended up getting rid of the car.
Someone told me to wash the dog with baking soda, peroxide and dish soap. It does work better than anything else I have tried. I remember my grandmother soaking my cousin and her dog in tomato juice when the dog got sprayed by a skunk and then climbed in my cousin's sleeping bag. The tomato juice did not work as well as the baking soda, peroxide and dish soap. No one wanted to be around those two for days, but my dog smelled just faintly of skunk if you got really close to her.

In the military they teach you proper radio communication etiquette and jargon, however there are certain things that simply can't be put into those proper terms.

I was driving a HUMVEE through a desert in West Texas near Ft Bliss. A buddy of mine was following and called me on the radio and said something to the effect of "Vehicle 33 this is vehicle 31, please be advised that there is a 4 hooved, horned mammal attempting a hostile intercept on your vehicle. Over." I didn't quite get what he meant so I replied with "This is vehicle 33, Negative Copy. Say again, over." To which the guy basically just repeated what he said earlier.

Rather than trying to go back and forth while driving I simply said "I don't know what you're trying to say Dale, just spit it out." His reply was a very excited "Dude! There's something with big ol' horns chasing your truck! Look out yer window!!" So I turned and looked, about 10 feet behind and 15 feet over from my bumper was an oryx pacing along with my truck.

In case you don't know, an Oryx is kind of like an antelope or gazelle but with 3 foot long spear shaped horns. It's a beautiful, majestic creature; except when it's running right towards you then it's terrifying. Especially since my HUMVEE had canvas door that those horns could rip through like they weren't even there. I radioed back that I was going to increase speed. I don't know what an oryxs top speed is but I figured stepping on the gas until I got up to 50MPH couldn't hurt. I found out later that there had been a few guys in other units on base who were hospitalized when oryx attacked their convoys. So I consider myself pretty lucky that my buddy saw it before anything bad happened.
Great story Steve, did he keep up for a while lol ?