Quote of the Day

I think that one of the differences between my generation and the ones after me has to do with the way we were raised. When I was a kid if I was afraid of something my Dad usually made me face my fear and do it. eventually, that becomes a habit and I still will instinctively go and DO the things that I fear. "Fear is a mind-killer." There was a lot to fear when I was young. I think that when our father came home from WW2 they had faced so much fear that they were almost immune to it. The women might not have gone to war but in fact it has to be harder to wait and wonder if your loved ones will come home then to face your fears and move past it. My Mom was a war bride. He never came home. He died on Iwo Jima and there was no body to even send home. They were tough people and didn't have much patience with the fears of a child. They passed some of that on to my generation. I tried to do a little better with my daughter but also refused to let silly fears rule her life. You know the fight or flight reflex? I never learned to fly.
My father was on Iwo also First night ashore. 4th Marine Division. It was his last landing. He was at New Britain I think and saipan I believe. We dont know for sure as he rarely talked about it and had PTSD so bad that he was still having nightmares ten years after Iwo. He was going to be a baseball player and was in the minor leagues when he joined the Marine Corp. He survived the first night but all the guys with him in the hole on the beach were dead. He was wounded but not bad. The Japanese mortored the beach all night. His hole was missed. Or I wouldnt be here. He went up Mt Suribachi with his group of fellow marines. He told my mom he was with the first group that put up the flag that was taken down and then replaced with a bigger one. We thought he was not telling the truth. Then come to find out not long ago he was right. The first group got no news time. Still it doesnt matter as they were all heroes in my eyes. I am sorry to hear about your father. I am a vet too but no combat. He hated war and was a pacifist at the end of his life. He told me I cant imagine what a horror it is. My father was a war hero of sorts. He met Macarthur in New Britain and was in one of the newsreels being examined by the general staff as he was just a corporal. I understand about not flying. I had a bad habit of sticking around for the ball to drop. Now I wish I had flew more often.

Reactions: Benway and Lynne
"Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait'll you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles, see if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding. Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."

Leonard 'Bones' McCoy, Star Trek 2009 - My personal favorite. I believe Karl Urban nailed that role.

“A Cherokee elder was teaching his young grandson about life.
"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil- he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt and ego.
The other is good- he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.
This same fight is going on inside you—and inside every other person, too."
The boy thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,
"Which wolf will win?"
The elder simply replied,
"The one you feed.”

― Tsalagi Tale

“Give me strength, not to be better than my enemies, but to defeat my greatest enemy, the doubts within myself. Give me strength for a straight back and clear eyes, so when life fades, as the setting sun, my spirit may come to you without shame.”

― P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast