Phrases

Here's a question for everyone here who isn't a Brit...

Do you use "Dipstick" as an insult? As in, "He's such a dipstick!"

It's used to mean someone is a bit silly or has done something a bit silly. You might even refer to yourself as a dipstick (I know I have, many times!).
No. We say, he’s such a dip-shit!!! We insult them more by adding the word… shit! Lol

I'm sure that word causes so much confusion! :D

I bet that phrase book is very entertaining

Ah!! Thanks Duke! I honestly don't think too many people over here actually know who he was, but as you say, everyone takes his name in vain!
I'm surprised General Bennet is that reviled in the UK, although I know once he was realised by the Japanese at the end of the war, UK General Percival was responsible for the charges brought against Bennett.

I learned about Bennett from a RAAF exchange officer I worked with years ago.

I'm sure that word causes so much confusion! :D

I bet that phrase book is very entertaining

Ah!! Thanks Duke! I honestly don't think too many people over here actually know who he was, but as you say, everyone takes his name in vain!
that's a new one to me and quite melodious

Reactions: RoseRed

It's used to mean someone is a bit silly or has done something a bit silly. You might even refer to yourself as a dipstick (I know I have, many times!).
We do, or did call people a dipstick in Oz. It's a friendly insult to your mates who said or did something silly. We have other words for people we don't like, lol.

I'm surprised General Bennet is that reviled in the UK, although I know once he was realised by the Japanese at the end of the war, UK General Percival was responsible for the charges brought against Bennett.

I learned about Bennett from a RAAF exchange officer I worked with years ago.
I suppose he must have been reviled at one time for the phrase to have come into being, but honestly, most people use it without any idea of who the man was.

It's literally just used much as you might exclaim "blimey!" or "flippin' heck!" It's more an expression of surprise or incredulity than an actual insult. A good example would be, "How much did you pay for the house?! Gordon Bennett!!"

Last edited:

I used to when younger. Blame that on Dukes of Hazzard lol.