Phrases

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I recently told someone to "shoo!" and I'm pretty sure he thought I was crazy.
OK, so what are some phrases you may use that are regional or words or phrases from the past that may sound funny to someone else?

I still use "finer than frog hair" and my kids laugh at me every time.

Last edited:
Well from my Grandmother I picked up "¡Aye que loco!" which was also pretty common in and around the area I grew up, along with "¡Hijole!".

From my Mom I picked up "We'll burn that bridge when we get to it." I don't know if she got the two phrases mixed up on purpose or just didn't understand what they meant. She was kinda funny that way. I've tried mixing other phrases together, such as a bird in hand gathers no moss (or "no mas" if I'm feeling bilingual) or beating a dead horse around a bush. But they don't quite work as well.

When my kids were little I was very adamant about not letting certain expletives slip out and started using phrases like "jackhole", "mother puss bucket", "Son of a motherless goat" or simply "Goat". When translated into Spanish the word for Goat is used as a profanity.

Now my kids are old enough to have heard and said all the expletives but I keep using these phrases anyway and have even caught my kids using some of these phrases themselves.