Phrases

Ok, here are a few from the north of England (where my parents are from):

"He's not as green as he's cabbage-looking" (meaning someone's not as stupid as they look)

"Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!" (I think this is some kind of exclamation of surprise)

"She's all there with her lemon drops" (meaning they're a sound person, a generally grounded type)

"Stop your mythering" (meaning stop pestering/bothering me)

"He was standing there like piffy on a rock bun" (don't ask me to explain any of that!)

I recently told someone to "shoo!" and I'm pretty sure he thought I was crazy.
OK, so what are some phrases you may use that are regional or words or phrases from the past that may sound funny to someone else?

I still use "finer than frog hair" and my kids laugh at me every time.
Debi, I love "finer than frog hair"!!! I shall be adopting that one! :<3

Slicker that owl shit is another all time favorite from my area in winter. (Sure, blame it on the owl...)
Slick Owl poop and Fine Frog hair? What is going on out there.?!

Last edited:
  • Big Grin
  • Haha
Reactions: RoseRed and Debi
I recently told someone to "shoo!" and I'm pretty sure he thought I was crazy.
OK, so what are some phrases you may use that are regional or words or phrases from the past that may sound funny to someone else?

I still use "finer than frog hair" and my kids laugh at me every time.
Ummmmmmmm. No comment. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Debi
Awwww Hell. being from the South, we got pa-lenty of them!

He's crazier than a coot!- meaning; He's friggin nuts!
Bless his heart.....Version1- Meaning; Aw.....poor thing
Version 2- meaning; This dude is.... STUPID!
Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!
More tired than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
Lately down here....Its hotter than 2 rats (blanking) in a wool sock in a summertime barn! Lol
My Grandmother and Mom used to say this and I still do to this day- Poo-Yy-yi ! Meaning SHOO! Get the hell away from me! But you cant just say that. You have to do the hand gesture with it which looks like you shooing a fly away! Lol

Awwww Hell. being from the South, we got pa-lenty of them!

He's crazier than a coot!- meaning; He's friggin nuts!
Bless his heart.....Version1- Meaning; Aw.....poor thing
Version 2- meaning; This dude is.... STUPID!
Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!
More tired than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
Lately down here....Its hotter than 2 rats (blanking) in a wool sock in a summertime barn! Lol
My Grandmother and Mom used to say this and I still do to this day- Poo-Yy-yi ! Meaning SHOO! Get the hell away from me! But you cant just say that. You have to do the hand gesture with it which looks like you shooing a fly away! Lol

Shoo-fly pie​

The modern name comes from a particular brand of molasses from Philadelphia, Shoo-fly Molasses[citation needed].[2][9]The name shoo-fly pie was used in the 1880s, but its first appearance in print was after World War I.[4]The Shoo-fly brand of molasses was named after a popular circus animal that toured in Pennsylvania in the 19th century, Shoo-fly the Boxing Mule.[2][10] The mule, in turn, may have been named after a song that became popular half a century before: "Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me".[2] The pie is mentioned in the song "Shoo-Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy," popularized by Dinah Shore in the 1940s.[11]

Shoo-fly pie is called Melassich Riwwelboi or Melassichriwwelkuche[12] (molasses crumb cake) in the Pennsylvania Dutchlanguage.[13] Before its modern name became popular during the 20th century, it was molasses crumb pie or soda rivvel cake (rivels are lumps of food).[3]

Shoo-fly pie​

The modern name comes from a particular brand of molasses from Philadelphia, Shoo-fly Molasses[citation needed].[2][9]The name shoo-fly pie was used in the 1880s, but its first appearance in print was after World War I.[4]The Shoo-fly brand of molasses was named after a popular circus animal that toured in Pennsylvania in the 19th century, Shoo-fly the Boxing Mule.[2][10] The mule, in turn, may have been named after a song that became popular half a century before: "Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me".[2] The pie is mentioned in the song "Shoo-Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy," popularized by Dinah Shore in the 1940s.[11]

Shoo-fly pie is called Melassich Riwwelboi or Melassichriwwelkuche[12] (molasses crumb cake) in the Pennsylvania Dutchlanguage.[13] Before its modern name became popular during the 20th century, it was molasses crumb pie or soda rivvel cake (rivels are lumps of food).[3]
Never heard of such a thing! Sounds delicious