Pet Parent Training, 101

I have told this before so sorry to the senior members. When I was first married, I made my first roast and potatoes. I was very proud and was waiting patiently for hubby to come home from work. He was very late, and I had everything out on the table ready to go. Well sometime after I left the room, my dog must have painstakingly pulled the roast off the platter, (nothing was disturbed). I walked by and did a neck snap when I saw the roast was missing. It was too late to salvage any of it. All that was left was the bone she was chewing on. We had potatoes for dinner, and I think I remember crying at some point. We were definately on a budget and that was a sad event indeed. I look back and laugh now. Probably the best meal that dog ever had.
We had a similar experience when I left the pizza I'd just picked up on our breakfast nook. When I went upstairs to tell Mrs Duke the food was here, she insisted on showing me a couple new outfits she'd bought that day.

Ten minutes later we came back downstairs to find the open pizza box on the floor with all the toppings gone and the dog licking her chops. To be fair, she had left us the pristine crust. Our dinner that night would up being a couple cans of soup.

We had a similar experience when I left the pizza I'd just picked up on our breakfast nook. When I went upstairs to tell Mrs Duke the food was here, she insisted on showing me a couple new outfits she'd bought that day.

Ten minutes later we came back downstairs to find the open pizza box on the floor with all the toppings gone and the dog licking her chops. To be fair, she had left us the pristine crust. Our dinner that night would up being a couple cans of soup.
They had to seize the opportunity because otherwise they might never get such a meal. They created a great memory for their doggy life.

Reactions: ozentity and jadamz
When I was about four or five, we had just gotten our first Sheltie and she was out in the back with my dad. He was grilling steaks at the time and momentarily came inside. Sissy stayed outside. When he returned, the steak was gone. Somehow, someway, she avoided being burned but scored herself a hell of a meal in the end. Never knew how she did it.

Last edited:
When I was about four or five, we had just gotten our first Sheltie and she was out in the back with my dad. He was grilling steaks at the time and momentarily came inside. Sissy stayed outside. When he returned, the steak was gone. Somehow, someway, she had managed to avoid being burned in any capacity but scored herself a hell of a meal in the end. Never knew how she did it.
It's like their version of steak Jenga lol. My dog got that roast off a fully set table without disturbing a thing. In retrospect, how many special meals do they really get. I try to remember this and give my dog human food whenever I cook something I know she can eat. My friends all cringe when they hear that, and I know there are some here that will criticize me for feeding human food. My dogs have outlived all my critical friends' pooches. So, I say the proof is in the pudding. Dog food is the crap we won't eat. The kibble is rendered to the point of useless nutrition made so it can be stored for prolonged periods of time. Feeding real food to your pets is the way to go in my humble opinion. I will step away from the dais now, sorry.

Reactions: ozentity
It's like their version of steak Jenga lol. My dog got that roast off a fully set table without disturbing a thing. In retrospect, how many special meals do they really get. I try to remember this and give my dog human food whenever I cook something I know she can eat. My friends all cringe when they hear that, and I know there are some here that will criticize me for feeding human food. My dogs have outlived all my critical friends' pooches. So, I say the proof is in the pudding. Dog food is the crap we won't eat. The kibble is rendered to the point of useless nutrition made so it can be stored for prolonged periods of time. Feeding real food to your pets is the way to go in my humble opinion. I will step away from the dais now, sorry.
I get it. Mine and my dad's all got human food often. When both of my parents were alive, I'd go often to eat with them. I'd share with them all, and they were allowed to lick the plate clean when we were finished. I hope it's the same in their new homes.

Reactions: Lynne and ozentity