Part of the PNF "Learn a New Word" Program

Polenta: Made with coarse stone-ground cornmeal, polenta is often referred to as “Italian grits.” Like grits, polenta is a hearty porridge with a grainy texture. Polenta originated in Northern Italy where it was essential to many peasant and working class families—a simple yet satisfying dish.

Reactions: 7Critter
The last one in that list, canola oil, I remember reading it was given that name because marketing gurus felt calling it "rapeseed oil" would offend Americans.

One of the outfits I worked with in the UK had a test facility out in the middle of nowhere, beautiful area in what was primarily farm land. One of my first trip there I saw this massive field of bright yellow flowers. I asked one of our hosts, who happened to be female, what the flowers were. She simply said, "rape." I just said "oh" and let it drop. It was a while before I figured out that really was the name of the plant.

Solipsist: Someone so focused on their own wants and needs that they don't think about other people at all.

Reactions: Lynne and Benway
The last one in that list, canola oil, I remember reading it was given that name because marketing gurus felt calling it "rapeseed oil" would offend Americans.

One of the outfits I worked with in the UK had a test facility out in the middle of nowhere, beautiful area in what was primarily farm land. One of my first trip there I saw this massive field of bright yellow flowers. I asked one of our hosts, who happened to be female, what the flowers were. She simply said, "rape." I just said "oh" and let it drop. It was a while before I figured out that really was the name of the plant.
HAha. Yes, rapeseed probably not great to put into the Church Ladies recipe book for Heavenly Brownies.. "add 5 tablespoons of Rape oil and blend well."...nah...that doesn't flow ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne and Benway

hahaha. just read the woman's "rape" response..and ,I just said "oh"...hahaha...probably the best response given the situation. lol

Reactions: Benway
Polenta: Made with coarse stone-ground cornmeal, polenta is often referred to as “Italian grits.” Like grits, polenta is a hearty porridge with a grainy texture. Polenta originated in Northern Italy where it was essential to many peasant and working class families—a simple yet satisfying dish.
I read that as "Italian girls" not grits..I was trying to make the connection

• Big Grin
Reactions: Benway
I like the word "porridge". just sounds cozy and a "hearty porridge" is even better. Always makes me think of Glasgow and adding a wee dram and some brown sugar on top of the morning porridge( on the weekends)

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Posted by Rod Reinhart
As I remember, the phrase means,In The Garden of Eden. Don't you know that I love you He wrote it In A Gadda Da Vida because it was easier to sing,

• Love it
Reactions: 7Critter and Benway