My Brother's Spirit Orb Next to me

I haven't studied Zen Buddhism, but I am a Buddhist. My name is Tenzin, named after the Dalai Lama. I learned from my father. I remember asking him whether it was Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism, but it was a very long time ago; he since passed away. I think he said it was a mixture of both.
Tenzin, honorific name given to holy or enlightened ones, teachers, etc... "the carrier of the law". or "the holder of the dharma"....
or, it could be the last airbender......lol.... oops, thats my cartoonist side coming out....lol.
cool though, so youre not a stranger to meditations and the virtues

Reactions: Paintman
Thank you PaulM. Lol...the Last Airbender- I noticed there was an anime type show that had a Tenzin a while back, lol.

Reactions: Paintman and Paulm
Thank you PaulM. Lol...the Last Airbender- I noticed there was an anime type show that had a Tenzin a while back, lol.
do you attend a temple? dharma names are usually given out by monks to those entering monkhood

My father had his own temple, he was a Buddhist teacher and taught under the name "American Buddhist Mission', having about 7 students at the time. So I attended there, and when he passed away it and his records (he had a temple in Vietnam built) passed over to me. Wish I can say I was a monk, and I am by no means an expert at Buddhism though. I just know the mantras like O mani padme hum and the Five Precepts and such.

My father had his own temple, he was a Buddhist teacher and taught under the name "American Buddhist Mission', having about 7 students at the time. So I attended there, and when he passed away it and his records (he had a temple in Vietnam built) passed over to me. Wish I can say I was a monk, and I am by no means an expert at Buddhism though. I just know the mantras like O mani padme hum and the Five Precepts and such.
thats cool. i dont think there are any experts, esp. me, far from it....lol,..... its a continual learning process, a path of growth and self discovery. being a monk is just how you walk the path. becoming enlightened is just seeing the world how it is, the ultimate truth, it doesnt erase misery or pain, it just opens a door of acceptance. just keep learning and keep living, ive fallen many tmes, changed paths many times, after many years realized its just a path. just be good and human, quite simple really.....lol

You're so right! Buddhism is so complex but I think when it comes down to it, practice compassion and follow the Middle Path. That's what I strive to do everyday, just be a decent human being like you said.

Reactions: Paintman and Paulm
being a monk is just how you walk the path. becoming enlightened is just seeing the world how it is, the ultimate truth, it doesnt erase misery or pain, it just opens a door of acceptance.
Very enticing description

Reactions: Paulm and Lynne