My Bigfoot Experience

FabledPhantom

Reaction score
Maine is filled with mysterious wonders, from bigfoot sightings to the mysterious Specter Moose hunters have feared since the first sighting in the 1800's.

My experience happened in Ogunquit, Maine. Ogunquit is a tourist area, especially in the summer, although a large majority of it is covered with woodland for miles. My grandmother rented a Cabin I would frequently visit when she lived in Maine for the summer. The Cabin was located near a campground that was surrounded by a dense forest, away from where the tourists would be, the trees of this forest were compacted together so it was a little bit difficult to take a hike through it, there were no hiking trails in this forest as far as I know. There was a open entrance to this forest that was closed off by a gate with a 'DO NOT ENTER' sign attached to it.

One time I decided to go past the gate and walk through it to explore during the daytime, I remember continuing to walk through this forest for about 20 minutes, which seemed like a few hours. I had a very eerie feeling as I ventured further into the woods because I stopped hearing birds singing away, which was odd because near the gate it's all I could hear, birds chirping. All of a sudden I hear an animal walking through the fallen leaves on the ground, I figured it was a deer but as this creature got further I knew it was no deer... I did not see what type of animal it was, but I knew by the sound of it's footsteps it was definitely larger than a deer. I definitely knew it was not a bear because it was rare to see bears in Ogunquit, and I probably would be bear food and would not be writing this. As the footsteps got closer they got louder, and the leaves would crunch louder. This frightened me and I sprinted out of those woods as fast I could possibly could, faster than I ever did.

A few nights after this, at around 2AM, my brother and I were sitting around the campfire, having a few beers and talking. All of a sudden out of nowhere, we hear a beastly roar coming from the same direction of the woods I had previously explored, this didn't sound like any ordinary animal, it was grotesque. We stayed silent for 3 minutes trying to decipher what we had just heard when he turns to me and asks "what in the **** was that", me being filled with fear I simply told him that I did not know. After that we got everything we had with us sitting outside and went back into my grandmother's cabin.

I don't know what I heard that night, I'm not a skeptic of bigfoot, but it could have been another human playing tricks on us, but I've come to realize that it couldn't have been because those woods were pitch black at night and what same human would ever go in there without proper flashlights is beyond my comprehension. It was definitely not a bear.

I never dared to enter those woods ever again.

Last edited:
Hi Phantom and welcome to the PNF. Thanks for sharing your very well written expererice in rural Maine. When were these encounters you described, and how old were you?

you should go back and place a few trail cams deep in the area. they are fairly affordable now, and with deer season soon coming to a close they will be discounted even further. unfortunately, without you seeing what the animal was there isnt much to go on. ive been in the woods before, and in the right conditions, dry, late fall / winter. the squirrels can even sound like a man walking through the woods. the birds may have stopped because YOU were the intruder in their environment that didnt see many people due to the "do not enter" signs.... not saying this is the absolute case, just that all possibilities must be eliminated first. the howling scream sound you heard is interesting, any possibility of elk or moose. even a barred owl can sound very primitive and terrifying to someone not familiar, (they also make what is known as "monkey chatter" that is really odd sounding ).... even though it frightened you, another visit could lead to some answers and produce possibly a recording of the screams you heard....
as far as no one being in the woods at night. dont count on it...lol..... i know quite a few people who hike at night. and if using filtered lights, they are hard to see with the naked eye from any distance. is there any possibility you may have stumbled across someones drug field or garden?... ive seen a few of those in the north georgia mountains before, along with the remains of a few stills... theres also the possibility of poachers, etc....
nice, well written story, welcome to the forums.

Welcome Phantom. Thanks for sharing your experience. I think we know when something is not normal or right. I would go with your gut on this that it may well have been a big foot. I know many experiences can be explained away but it doesn't discount it could have been exactly what you thought. I like the idea of trail cams but if it is a restricted area you could get into hot water for that. The fact that it seems you were tagged in a way after your first close encounter lends to it being a creature. Many people report being followed after a sighting or will have another encounter sometime in the future.

you should go back and place a few trail cams deep in the area. they are fairly affordable now, and with deer season soon coming to a close they will be discounted even further. unfortunately, without you seeing what the animal was there isnt much to go on. ive been in the woods before, and in the right conditions, dry, late fall / winter. the squirrels can even sound like a man walking through the woods. the birds may have stopped because YOU were the intruder in their environment that didnt see many people due to the "do not enter" signs.... not saying this is the absolute case, just that all possibilities must be eliminated first. the howling scream sound you heard is interesting, any possibility of elk or moose. even a barred owl can sound very primitive and terrifying to someone not familiar, (they also make what is known as "monkey chatter" that is really odd sounding ).... even though it frightened you, another visit could lead to some answers and produce possibly a recording of the screams you heard....
as far as no one being in the woods at night. dont count on it...lol..... i know quite a few people who hike at night. and if using filtered lights, they are hard to see with the naked eye from any distance. is there any possibility you may have stumbled across someones drug field or garden?... ive seen a few of those in the north georgia mountains before, along with the remains of a few stills... theres also the possibility of poachers, etc....
Thank you for the welcome. Unfortunately I no longer visit the place because my grandmother doesn't have the cabin anymore. I would definitely put some trail cams there if I ever decided to go back to Ogunquit. Last time I've been there was in 2017, this experience happened in 2015-2016(?). It would be pretty neat to see what I could find on the trail cams, and I would definitely post some footage here if I caught anything out of the ordinary on them and share it with you all. The owl theory is quite intriguing as I always thought they were mysterious sounding. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Your post reminded of something that happened when I was 10-12 years old. We lived near a heavily wooded area where the small group of guys in our neighborhood frequented to fish, hunt, and just frolic through the woods.

One late fall evening, getting dark but not fully dark, a friend and I, while heading out of the woods to go home, heard what sounded like someone loudly walking in the dropped leaves/foliage near us. We stopped to listen, and with us stopped the sound was even more detectable.

We were more curious than frightened, and headed in the direction of the sound. We eventually came to a clearing, and as we stood and watched out came a mother raccoon and 4-5 babies following her in single file. They were maybe 20-30 feet from us.

We apparently had been roughly paralleling each other, so the sound level of them moving through the foliage stayed fairly constant. Momma raccoon and family paid us no attention and proceeded across the clearing to more woods.