More goings on at my haunted workplace...

RoseRed

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
A while ago I posted that I'd started a new job and not long after that saw the tail end of a person walk past a doorway, only to find that there was no one there. After that I discovered from my colleagues that the place was known to be haunted and that they'd all seen and heard various things.

Recently, the activity has picked up quite dramatically. Incidents have included: lights on equipment coming on by themselves after we've locked up for the night (seen through the window as people were locking the door from the outside, so they had to go back in again and turn it off); a phone call from an empty room; a phonecall from a phone right next to someone who could see the phone wasn't in use; and, perhaps most dramatic of all, mud appearing all over the floor of an upstairs room with no mud anywhere else in the building. That room was the room I work in.

This mud was also on the wheels of the two chairs in the room. I was in that room the night before and I was sitting on one of those chairs. There was categorically no mud in the room or on the chairs when I left it the night before (the nature of my work demands that the rooms and equipment are completely sanitised from top to bottom every single day).

Everyone was shocked and baffled. We even checked with the alarm company to make sure it wasn't someone breaking in at night playing a prank. It wasn't. We just couldn't understand why/how there was only mud in my room and nowhere else in the building. The two chairs are also very heavy. If someone had taken them all the way downstairs to take them outside and roll them around in the mud, why would they then take them all the way back upstairs and back into my room, without leaving a trace of mud anywhere else in the building?

We are still really baffled by this. Does anyone here have any ideas as to what could be going on? Any other rational explanation that we haven't considered? I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts!

A while ago I posted that I'd started a new job and not long after that saw the tail end of a person walk past a doorway, only to find that there was no one there. After that I discovered from my colleagues that the place was known to be haunted and that they'd all seen and heard various things.

Recently, the activity has picked up quite dramatically. Incidents have included: lights on equipment coming on by themselves after we've locked up for the night (seen through the window as people were locking the door from the outside, so they had to go back in again and turn it off); a phone call from an empty room; a phonecall from a phone right next to someone who could see the phone wasn't in use; and, perhaps most dramatic of all, mud appearing all over the floor of an upstairs room with no mud anywhere else in the building. That room was the room I work in.

This mud was also on the wheels of the two chairs in the room. I was in that room the night before and I was sitting on one of those chairs. There was categorically no mud in the room or on the chairs when I left it the night before (the nature of my work demands that the rooms and equipment are completely sanitised from top to bottom every single day).

Everyone was shocked and baffled. We even checked with the alarm company to make sure it wasn't someone breaking in at night playing a prank. It wasn't. We just couldn't understand why/how there was only mud in my room and nowhere else in the building. The two chairs are also very heavy. If someone had taken them all the way downstairs to take them outside and roll them around in the mud, why would they then take them all the way back upstairs and back into my room, without leaving a trace of mud anywhere else in the building?

We are still really baffled by this. Does anyone here have any ideas as to what could be going on? Any other rational explanation that we haven't considered? I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts!
Some freaky stuff Rose. The stuff turning on..maybe....if there is some sort of battery back up...it's a stretch, but maybe somehow that could activate stuff. The mud...Yikes. That's really strange. I saw a figure at one of my jobs out of the corner of my eye. That made me jump almost onto the shelves lol. And i know i was the only person in the shop at the time. It was shortly before 6am.

Some freaky stuff Rose. The stuff turning on..maybe....if there is some sort of battery back up...it's a stretch, but maybe somehow that could activate stuff. The mud...Yikes. That's really strange. I saw a figure at one of my jobs out of the corner of my eye. That made me jump almost onto the shelves lol. And i know i was the only person in the shop at the time. It was shortly before 6am.
The phone call from empty room...being an electrician..maybe somewhere a line is crossed...though there'd be static...depends on if lines are 'daisy chained' or separate runs back to interface.

Does the facility have a CCTV security system? If yes, is it constantly monitored? Assuming a video system exists, has anyone ever taken the time look at the recorded video of the events you described?

Are there any after hours staff in the facility at all.....cleaners, security, maintenance workers, IT people, etc? Is there a sign out system for anyone working after hours?

I assume the building is locked after hours. How is entrance to the facility gained? A physical key? Cipher lock? Is the lock on a timer system? How many people have keys or know the code to gain entrance? Any chance a former disgruntled employee could get in after hours?

On the day you found the mud in your room, would there have been mud outside? Had it rained appreciably to the point the immediate area would have been muddy? If yes, did anyone compare the mud outside in the immediate area to the mud found inside?

Not being a doubter, but something along those lines would be something i'd go in and troubleshoot. The CCTV option Duke brought up is a good thing to check. Curious also, the history of building. If there are happenings, wonder if they don't like the sterile environment that needs to be maintained.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoseRed
That part about the mud is disturbing. Like you pointed out, if anyone had bothered to lug heavy chairs down and roll them in the mud, why would they bother to return them to the room you work in, and no place else?

Does the facility have a CCTV security system? If yes, is it constantly monitored? Assuming a video system exists, has anyone ever taken the time look at the recorded video of the events you described?

Are there any after hours staff in the facility at all.....cleaners, security, maintenance workers, IT people, etc? Is there a sign out system for anyone working after hours?

I assume the building is locked after hours. How is entrance to the facility gained? A physical key? Cipher lock? Is the lock on a timer system? How many people have keys or know the code to gain entrance? Any chance a former disgruntled employee could get in after hours?

On the day you found the mud in your room, would there have been mud outside? Had it rained appreciably to the point the immediate area would have been muddy? If yes, did anyone compare the mud outside in the immediate area to the mud found inside?
There was no CCTV installed at all at the time of the incident, so unfortunately there is no recording that can be reviewed.

The only person there after hours was a cleaner. There is a whole other story to that which I don't want to share publicly, but suffice it to say, we don't think it was him. I don't know if there was a sign-out system for him other than just setting the alarm as he left.

There was potentially one disgruntled employee and they were the first person I thought of. However, I asked the manager if they were ever given a key or the code to the alarm and she said "no".

I don't know how many people have a key or access to the alarm code but management and reception staff almost certainly would. I can't believe it was any of them. Yes, the building is locked overnight. Access is by physical key only and then by disarming the alarm.

We did go and check the grounds around the building for wheel marks. We couldn't see any and the landscaping really prohibits anyone from accessing the soil at all. Other than a small area of landscaping around the building, it's just a street so it's paved and there isn't too much mud around.

Last edited:
The phone call from empty room...being an electrician..maybe somewhere a line is crossed...though there'd be static...depends on if lines are 'daisy chained' or separate runs back to interface.
I don't know how the phones are set up, I'm afraid. Could that be something that would only happen once, if the lines were crossed, or would it keep happening until it was fixed? To my knowledge it's only happened that one time.

Also, could it explain the member of staff who got a call from the phone right next to her where she could clearly see the phone and the fact that there was no one calling from it? She said she could see which phone the call was coming from because there's a digital display on the phone that was ringing. She looked at it, saw that it was coming from the phone next to her and it freaked her out so much she ended the call without answering it! She was alone at the time, poor thing...

I think we were just all on edge because it all happened in the same week as the light coming on and the mud being found. If it had just been the one incident I think we'd be less concerned and just put it down to faulty electrics. I suppose it's a question of how many weird incidents do there have to be, and in what timeframe, before it starts to look like something else?

"Curious also, the history of building. If there are happenings, wonder if they don't like the sterile environment that needs to be maintained."

Well, it's funny you should mention that. Just before these incidents occured, we were renovating the building, starting with my room! I don't know if there's a correlation there, but it's an interesting coincidence.

It's a Victorian building so maybe around 150 years old, something like that...

Last edited:
That part about the mud is disturbing. Like you pointed out, if anyone had bothered to lug heavy chairs down and roll them in the mud, why would they bother to return them to the room you work in, and no place else?
Exactly. That's the most baffling part, for me.

Reactions: Selectric