Monday 7 September 2015 with David Paulides

I'm interested to hear this show. These stories always fascinate me. And one of the things David has referred to in the past has been about portals....

Death Valley is one of the few places that has truth in its name, usually 2 or 3 people die every year in or around it. Usually it's out of shape people, "city folk" or tourists who are completely unprepared for nature. People going hiking at with only a pint of water, no hat in tennis shoes. I've seen a Prius bottoming out again and again across roads that were little more than goat tracks, when they stopped I found out they carried no water or food.

A few are actual crimes, a burnt out rental vehicle and no bodies recovered, usually tourists carry cash or expensive items and the desert is a big place, probably a crime of opportunity. If you drive an old beat up hippie van no one would think of robbing you. I don't think aliens or government took them for anal probes and burnt the car. To randomly abduct or kidnap someone seems odd unless there are many serial killers stalking national parks, (start Dueling Banjos). If you look at their map, http://www.canammissing.com/i/Map.jpg there are many along the Sierra Nevadas, next to and looks like including Death Valley.

I routinely go deep into Death Valley with the next human contact 50+ miles away for many days at a time. I've seen stealth and not so stealth aircraft flying around, no UFOs, no portals, no bigfoot, no chupacabra, sometimes a lost english or french tourist, once in a great while a ranger. BTW, if someone finds my vehicle abandoned, just assume I've gone beyond this existence, no need to wonder if it was the greys, reptilians, shadow people or men in black.

Questions to ask.
The books seems to angle towards investigation of facts but not detective work? i.e., putting the facts together to create a credible story of what happened? is this to create a market for your books because this sells?

Why is it that none of the missing carried a smartphone with GPS? which is ubiquitous today.

Why doesn't the book include people who have actually been found? and how they were found to help those who go into the wild? rather than creating fear?

Death Valley is one of the few places that has truth in its name, usually 2 or 3 people die every year in or around it. Usually it's out of shape people, "city folk" or tourists who are completely unprepared for nature. People going hiking at with only a pint of water, no hat in tennis shoes. I've seen a Prius bottoming out again and again across roads that were little more than goat tracks, when they stopped I found out they carried no water or food.

A few are actual crimes, a burnt out rental vehicle and no bodies recovered, usually tourists carry cash or expensive items and the desert is a big place, probably a crime of opportunity. If you drive an old beat up hippie van no one would think of robbing you. I don't think aliens or government took them for anal probes and burnt the car. To randomly abduct or kidnap someone seems odd unless there are many serial killers stalking national parks, (start Dueling Banjos). If you look at their map, http://www.canammissing.com/i/Map.jpg there are many along the Sierra Nevadas, next to and looks like including Death Valley.

I routinely go deep into Death Valley with the next human contact 50+ miles away for many days at a time. I've seen stealth and not so stealth aircraft flying around, no UFOs, no portals, no bigfoot, no chupacabra, sometimes a lost english or french tourist, once in a great while a ranger. BTW, if someone finds my vehicle abandoned, just assume I've gone beyond this existence, no need to wonder if it was the greys, reptilians, shadow people or men in black.

Questions to ask.
The books seems to angle towards investigation of facts but not detective work? i.e., putting the facts together to create a credible story of what happened? is this to create a market for your books because this sells?

Why is it that none of the missing carried a smartphone with GPS? which is ubiquitous today.

Why doesn't the book include people who have actually been found? and how they were found to help those who go into the wild? rather than creating fear?
Thanks for the questions! I have added them to the question box area.

http://www.canammissing.com/page/page/8396197.htm

Map.jpg

Cluster map of missing from the site

I am looking forward to this interview. I have heard about these cases and would like to know more details.

Reactions: Debi
I have heard in the years past that some marijuana growers have used the larger parks to grow their crops so that they won't get busted on their own property .I wonder if some of the missing could have just walked though the wrong place ,at the wrong time.

Reactions: DoTell and Debi
Oh, fantastic! I just assumed Art would take Labor Day off. Now I'm excited. If we get lucky enough to get a guest stumble in:

What is the most important bit of advice you can give us hikers on how to avoid being the subject of your next book?

I think the biggest case of a person missing in the wild I'm aware of is Chris McCandless, subject of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer and a movie of the same name (though I don't believe he died in a national park). Do you believe the official story of what happened to Mr. McCandless? More broadly, do you believe that most investigations of disappearances yield satisfying results?

I welcome speculation from everybody else too, of course!

Reactions: Debi
It is worth noting that some disappearances involved individual with phones. One young woman got lost in a park, realized she was lost, and called 911. The number forwarded to a non-9aa number and she could be triangulated. She was instricted to call again. Same results six or seven times before she gets the correct number. First and only time this phone system glitched in this fashion. Phones have been pinged to find individuals with odd results.