Marianist Apparitions

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing opinions of apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I've made no secret of the fact I am a practicing Roman Catholic, although clearly I (or the Boss Lady) don't want this to become a thread of theological arguments or disagreements.

Most of the best known Marianist apparitions (Fatama, Guadalaupe, Lourdes, Knock, Medjugorje, Garabandal, etc.) are connected to Roman Catholicism, but other faiths acknowledge them as well. One of the most amazing, but least known, Our Lady of Zeitoun, occurred at a Coptic Church near Cairo starting in April 1968. Rather than try to tell the full story, here is link to a site that both tells the story and provides photographs.

Our Lady of Light, Zeitoun, Egypt, 1968-1971

Any comments on this or any other BVM apparitions?

I don't know much about this but do you think the apparitions are an independent entity or are created by the peoples collective strong religious beliefs,and become visible.

I haven't read the article yet, but shall tomorrow. Thank you for posting this, Duke.

Just a note before I actually formulate a complete answer after the read, I am a devotee of the Blessed Mother in all her forms. As you know, my life long best friend is a nun, and we have compared a lot of notes on the Mother as Mary. The Hail Mary is a powerful prayer that is high on my list.

Reactions: Benway and Duke
I was raised Catholic, but over the years my views on organized religion have changed. But I remember as a teenager I was talking with my Nonna, my moms step-mother, and she said that when she was in labor with my mothers sister she was having complications, and she said that when she thought that one of them wasn't going to make it she saw the Blessed Mother standing there behind my Nono, my moms dad. They both survived the birth and she gave my aunt the middle name Maria, which is Mary in Italian. Because she believed that the Blessed Mother came to her to give her strength and to watch over them.
I think that it is possible that there are people who have either truly seen or captured evidence of something divine,but it's easy to question if they are really truly seeing something or is it possible that their strong beliefs are causing matrixing.

Thank
I'd be interested in hearing opinions of apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I've made no secret of the fact I am a practicing Roman Catholic, although clearly I (or the Boss Lady) don't want this to become a thread of theological arguments or disagreements.

Most of the best known Marianist apparitions (Fatama, Guadalaupe, Lourdes, Knock, Medjugorje, Garabandal, etc.) are connected to Roman Catholicism, but other faiths acknowledge them as well. One of the most amazing, but least known, Our Lady of Zeitoun, occurred at a Coptic Church near Cairo starting in April 1968. Rather than try to tell the full story, here is link to a site that both tells the story and provides photographs.

Our Lady of Light, Zeitoun, Egypt, 1968-1971

Any comments on this or any other BVM apparitions?
you so much for posting this. I am very interested in the Marianist apparitions. I think a sighting such as this could very likely be valid, particularly considering the limited ability to digitally manipulate images at that time.

Reactions: Debi
My involvement with the Marian apparitions goes back to a young Debi staying up one night to watch an old black and white movie about Fatima. From there, the Mother spirit began calling to me over the years, and I actually bear the confirmation name of Mary. My belief system is a bit complex, but let's say it can be wrapped up a bit with an ending scene in the book The Mists of Avalon, written by Marian Zimmer Bradley. In that scene, the Priestess of the old religion, Morgaine, approaches the new church just outside of the Mists that hide Avalon. The young girls who would come as priestess recruits for serving the Mother have been consumed by the new church of Christianity. As Morgaine enters the church to see what has happened, what has consumed and destroyed her customs and almost wiped out her Mother Goddess, she has a revelation and a Truth revealed to her as she sees the Goddess staring back at her through the eyes of a statue of Mary. The Goddess has not died after all. She has become the Mother of the Church. She has taken new form and appeared as she was needed as the Mother of the Child who would be the new warrior of the world. The Wheel had turned.

Now, to the apparition Duke has posted. She appeared to all faiths, in an area of many faiths. She appeared in different forms, but always as the Blessed Mother. From a spiritual viewpoint, I see this as a teaching to throw out the semantics...no "faith" can claim Her. She is the Mother, no matter what name you give Her. With so many seeing Her, and a few photos taken before the time of photoshop, etc., I would say it's one of the best documented appearances I've ever read. No prophecies, just healings and blessings. I have to say I accept the appearance as valid and real.

I do, however, also look at some things of interest here that make me ask some questions. The priest climbing the ladder who froze and shook and had to climb down. The statements of people being in such awe they were frozen and didn't take other pictures. The very bright light that was blinding at times before she appeared. The doves that were also described as sometimes "dovelike" indicating those may have been other than actual doves Those 4 things correlate to some UFO experiences. With that in mind, does that open the door to the possibility that UFO's may be directly related to heavenly/dimensional beings of some sort? (Yes, I also keep in mind the Fallen Ones who were also at one time of Heaven realm but were cast out, but this also seems to be a tie in to the fact that dimensions or realms may tie together here.)

Overall, I accept the Mother as she is. I throw out all the semantics and simply accept She Is.

Conversion. Repentance. Reparations.
Every legitimate Marian apparition contained these three elements to avert a catastrophe. More later when the cat will let me type.....

Reactions: Debi
Back to Mary and apparitions, I offer you this. Not visual, but auditory visitation.

Archives: When Buddhist Was Saved By Mary

Through the years, we have heard countless claims of apparitions and “locutions” (the hearing of a heavenly voice). From time to time, we submit some of the more interesting ones for your discernment. We can’t vouch for all such claims, especially when they involve locutions (which can easily be a result of the imagination or a deceptive spirit). We go back and forth in many cases. There are pros and cons. The vast majority of those making such assertions are good, devout people, but even the most well-intentioned can be deceived. Few cases are open-shut, black or white. Many fall into a “gray area.”

Such is the case with Reverend Shaka Kendo Rich Hart of West Hempstead, New York — who claims that several years ago the voice of Mary rescued him from suicide. From the outset, let’s make this clear. Reverend Hart remains a Buddhist. He operates the Clear Mountain Zen Center on Long Island. We have obvious problems with Buddhism. Moreover, the experience involved a locution — Mary’s alleged “voice” — not an apparition.

But Hart now also attends Catholic Mass several times a week (he has formally received his First Holy Communion), and we’ll let the experience speak for itself, at least as told by Hart, a former Marine from Brooklyn who became a Buddhist more than thirty years ago, and recently suffered grave illness, which is where — allegedly — the Blessed Mother came in.

“I had a stroke, and it knocked half of my body away,” says Hart. “I lost eighty percent use of my right side. And I was in a state of despair. After about a year of working with this, I just said, I’ve had enough and I took a handful of sleeping pills — a huge handful, expecting that would be the end of it.

“Instead,” continues the monk, “I had this big experience where the Mother comes through and is talking to me. I knew instantly that this was the Holy Mother, and I wasn’t a Catholic at the time. But there is no question I knew this was the Holy Mother, and my first response was, ‘Holy Mother, have you gotten the wrong address here? I’m a Buddhist monk!'”

It had nothing to do with that, Hart claims he was told. And instead of passing out, instead of falling into a stupor from the pills, nothing happened. “I didn’t get drowsy,” he says. “I don’t know what to say about it. I would say I heard her voice ten or 15 minutes after I took the pills. It was my father’s sleeping pills, and I just took them. It had just been renewed and so it was a full bottle.”

Hart says the voice had “such an enormously comforting quality” that it wasn’t so much what she said, but just the voice itself that caused emotional and apparently physical healing. “I don’t have a good recollection of what was said, but everything that was said just produced an enormous state of comfort, and for a long time afterwards it was like that.”

The voice went on for about a year. Afterwards, it seemed to change, and here we exercise an even heightened discernment. We’ll stay with the original voice. This is tricky territory — made all the trickier by the factor of Buddhism. But if saving a person from suicide is a “good fruit,” the original voice is worth consideration. Hart never saw her but has experienced the aroma of roses and associates her with an image of a “blue and white Lady,” as at Lourdes. In fact, a statue to that effect has been placed at the Zen center, where Hart says he freely discusses the Virgin.

Hart says the Blessed Mother never spoke about world affairs but only his personal life. After the suicide attempt, Hart says there was still despair, “but this voice made the despair bearable.”

“At a certain point she said, ‘Now I want you to become a Catholic,'” says Hart. “I was very surprised, because at first it was like it didn’t matter that I was a Buddhist. I went to see a priest and made arrangements to receive my First Holy Communion.”

Hart credits the Virgin along with a therapist in helping him recover about 70 percent of what he had lost from the stroke. “I was at the point,” he says, “where all I could do was lay in bed. The pain was so enormous I couldn’t get around. I was in this out-of-it state, and all of a sudden she would start talking to me.”

Hart was raised Methodist and after his time with the Marines became an alcoholic, recovering from that — and even a time when he was on the street as a “Bowery derelict” — through what he describes as an earlier “divine experience.” He said he was drawn to Buddhism after meeting a monk at the suggestion of Chester Carlson, who invented Xeroxgraphy. Hart now attends Mass at a local parish called St. Thomas the Apostle.

Reactions: Benway