Hot Toys

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
I was sent off this morning to buy some hot new toys for Christmas (Squishmallows?) before they disappeared from the shelves after "limited quantities" were advertised.

Over the years, there have been a lot of these...Cabbage Patch Kids, Tickle Me Elmo, Beanie Babies, etc. Have you ever been involved in such quests, be it as a kid who wanted the toy or an adult who was trying to find them?

Reactions: Paintman and Benway
I remember when those hideous Cabbage Patch dolls were all the rage! And they were expensive, too. A volunteer from my place of work surprised my then six year old daughter with one for Christmas. I stayed up late on Christmas eve, making this doll a new coat and hat. Fun!

Playstation 2, what, 20, 22 years ago? It was all my daughter wanted for Christmas and everyone was sold-out. I wandered the mall in desperation, about to give up. I stared in the window of a Kay Bee toy store (remember them?) trying to get an idea for something else she would like instead, and saw a little hand-printed sign, "We have PS2".
I ran inside and asked the kid at the counter. Yes, they had two left! I grabbed one and called the mom of one of my daughter's friends, who was looking for one also, and told her to get to the mall ASAP. I would have bought it for her but only had cash for one and my wife at the time had the credit card in her purse. She made it in time so we both were heroes that Christmas.

I spent three weeks stalking a Voltron original one Christmas...the big one. Thing is now worth over $700 and my son still has it. He loves that thing! He says it was his prized possession as a child and may still be. I guess it was worth it. He has it proudly displayed in his home office.

Then I spent another Christmas hunting down a male cabbage patch doll. This was when my youngest was still pretty much non-verbal (autistic) and he said "Want Cabbage Patch boy". You bet I tracked that doll down. And the very interesting thing was these dolls came with names...I had no idea what this one was named when I bought it as it was one of two left on the shelf. It's name was Willum. My son's name is William. He started talking to Willum soon after so this was truly my "Christmas Miracle."

I remember when those hideous Cabbage Patch dolls were all the rage! And they were expensive, too. A volunteer from my place of work surprised my then six year old daughter with one for Christmas. I stayed up late on Christmas eve, making this doll a new coat and hat. Fun!
My ex husband's wife (number 4) bought each of my daughters a cabbage patch doll. I think I still have the one my youngest got. The older one really didn't care about it, I think she was 7 at the time. Ex recently divorced wife number 7 for the second time so does that make her number 7 & 8 or just number 7 twice?

My ex husband's wife (number 4) bought each of my daughters a cabbage patch doll. I think I still have the one my youngest got. The older one really didn't care about it, I think she was 7 at the time. Ex recently divorced wife number 7 for the second time so does that make her number 7 & 8 or just number 7 twice?
When I took this job, Debi promised there'd be no math....

Playstation 2, what, 20, 22 years ago? It was all my daughter wanted for Christmas and everyone was sold-out. I wandered the mall in desperation, about to give up. I stared in the window of a Kay Bee toy store (remember them?) trying to get an idea for something else she would like instead, and saw a little hand-printed sign, "We have PS2".
I ran inside and asked the kid at the counter. Yes, they had two left! I grabbed one and called the mom of one of my daughter's friends, who was looking for one also, and told her to get to the mall ASAP. I would have bought it for her but only had cash for one and my wife at the time had the credit card in her purse. She made it in time so we both were heroes that Christmas.
playstation 2 was the best one of all,, what are they up to now ?, 5, 6... i stopped at 4....lol