Hermetic Principles - The True Law Of Attraction

JohnHermes

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen the documentary "The Secret?" It's the water down version of the esoteric teachings of Hermetics. Why you see my name as "hermes" refering to Hermes Trismegetus "thrice-greatest Hermes". Timeless universal principles. The Corpus Hermeticum was founded in 3rd century C.E., by unknown Egyptian authors. The kybalion is an elaboration of the hermetic principles written by occult mystic William Atksinson. These principles apply to the universal nature of reality as well as the soul. The basis of soul transformation known as true alchemy in the hermetic sense.

"The Principles of Truth are Seven; he who knows these,
understandingly, possesses the Magic Key before whose
touch all the Doors of the Temple fly open."--The Kybalion.

The Seven Hermetic Principles, upon which the entire Hermetic Philosophy is based, are as follows:

1. The Principle of Mentalism.
2. The Principle of Correspondence.
3. The Principle of Vibration.
4. The Principle of Polarity.
5. The Principle of Rhythm.
6. The Principle of Cause and Effect.
7. The Principle of Gender.

History of Hermetics: Hermes Trismegistus - Crystalinks

More info on hermetic principles. The Real Law of Attraction: Ancient Hermetic Principles Science Is NOW Rediscovering! - Beyond Enigma

More on the Corpus Hermeticum: https://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/herm/index.htm

Reactions: Benway
The Secret was quite the hit for awhile. I know Oprah pushed it a lot. A good place for beginner's to start, perhaps, but as you point out, these principles have been around and accepted for a very long time.

What I find interesting now is the fact science is beginning to bear out some of the operating realities of these "secrets". Thank you for the links to info.

You're welcome. It was. I feel like they purposely do that to steer people away? It's like they don't want you to have the full "insider info".

Last edited:
You're welcome. It was. I feel like they purposely do that to steer people away? It's like they don't want you to have the full "insider info".
I feel that if the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear. Like Debi said, it is a good beginning for some, but others will thirst for more knowledge, and keep seeking until they find it.

The problem with The Secret was it left people without that full info and thinking they now knew it all. Oy vey....ran into a few of those along my pathway! lol

I never read the book but am I right that it basically boils down to “like attracts like” ? Positive thought attracts positive things in life etc. Neg thinking attracts the negative. This is no secret if so.

I never read the book but am I right that it basically boils down to “like attracts like” ? Positive thought attracts positive things in life etc. Neg thinking attracts the negative. This is no secret if so.

The following post is my own personal belief and is not intended to be disrespectful to any other or their belief's.

I've never read the book either Lynne. But I have spent time researching the The Corpus Hermeticum as well as the Theosophical Society and other's of that time. I am not enamored of any of them. While I agree with Debi that science is proving many of these principals correct... the point of these societies throughout history was never balance but instead mastering the alchemy of not just becoming God-like... but to transcend above God... Him or Her or Itself. If you read/study carefully you will see that the teachings are not One with All hence One with God, which is what it has been watered down to today, but rather that Man is above All including God... by right.

What I am saying here is... all these teachings are geared towards societies searching for incantation's or alchemy's or magikal spells or rites or other... that lead to immortality and Godhood. As far as I can tell they all failed. I'm guessing they always will.

While I agree with Debi that science is proving many of these principals correct
I just want to say that I have never needed science to prove to me what I already held as my own truth. However, I have waited a lifetime to be able to say, "I TOLD YOU SO!" to those scientists! :p:cool: Feels darn good! lol

Last edited:
The unearthing of the Nag Hamadi library showed that the hermetic teachings were a descendent of a school going back to at least the fourth century and early Christianity, and also beyond that back to ancient Egypt.
Also, Isaac Newton was a Hermeticist! The physics findings he recorded (as the father of physics) were part of a much larger set of writings which still exist but are not available to read.

the point of these societies throughout history was never balance but instead mastering the alchemy of not just becoming God-like... but to transcend above God... Him or Her or Itself. If you read/study carefully you will see that the teachings are not One with All hence One with God, which is what it has been watered down to today, but rather that Man is above All including God... by right.
It may have been at least a stream in that river. Do you have any links or anything you could quote? I'm very interested in this at the moment in particular, not through egotistically wanting to be bigger than God, but because I'm translating and studying parts of the Gospel of Mark* and it's use of the phrase 'Son of Man' is important. I mean that in Jewish literature of the Roman era it meant 'man' rather than the 'son of God', so when in Mark Jesus talks about the Son of Man being able to forgive sin (as the priests say only God can) and that the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath, then it may relate as at least a source for the idea of man usurping God.

Me? I have no idea. But more information would be gratefully received!

*from old Greek into English so I have a literal translation; I'm not a professional!

Last edited: