He Came to Me, In a Dream

Great thread, fantastic ! I like the idea that a psychic experience happens with in your own head. The brain being either the broadcaster or the receiver. Paranormal would happen outside of the body, but still perceived by the brain.
Another distinction could be expecting the unexpected. Vs its opposite. Nobody ever expects to see Bigfoot but some people have.

I've not yet been able to get a good feel Paint for whether we are (a) all connected to each other directly or instead (b) all connected to something else. Scenario "b" would be kinda like the Matrix and somehow some of the events/thoughts within the network get "previewed". :p

Reactions: 7Critter
I've not yet been able to get a good feel Paint for whether we are (a) all connected to each other directly or instead (b) all connected to something else. Scenario "b" would be kinda like the Matrix and somehow some of the events/thoughts within the network get "previewed". :p
I always like Carl Jung's explanation of the collective unconscious. In his book Man and his Symbols, he explains that throughout time and distance, humans have common symbols to represent big things. Pyramids are found on most continents. The bow and arrow was independently invented everywhere. Same with fire. There was not a traveling salesman pedaling fire ,the bow and arrow , and blueprints for pyramids.;) The Mandela too.
When Jung studied psychic phenomenon and the occult he he tried to bring some science to the issue. I think with the collective unconsciousness he brought very educated conjecture to the issue.

I always like Carl Jung's explanation of the collective unconscious. In his book Man and his Symbols, he explains that throughout time and distance, humans have common symbols to represent big things. Pyramids are found on most continents. The bow and arrow was independently invented everywhere. Same with fire. There was not a traveling salesman pedaling fire ,the bow and arrow , and blueprints for pyramids.;) The Mandela too.
When Jung studied psychic phenomenon and the occult he he tried to bring some science to the issue. I think with the collective unconsciousness he brought very educated conjecture to the issue.
Was his conclusion then that we are connected through a common consciousness ?

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Was his conclusion then that we are connected through a common consciousness ?
Yes, across time and distance. And because it's unconscious we don't really have access to it except through the unconscious expression through dreams ,art and poetry. Music. Architecture. ....
I think the big examples are Leonardo da Vinci and Tesla, no way they came up with all that stuff by themselves consciously. Or Isaac Newton's insight of gravity.
But that same Collective unconscious could let us know that 200 miles away Grandma is dying.
It has been a long time since I studied Carl Jung. I would almost call him a Quantum psychologist. But his day-to-day techniques have become mainstream. He died in the late sixties and was very unhappy that the New Age movement had co-opted a lot of his thinking. He was once quoted as saying I never said that or meant that.:)

Reactions: 7Critter and Paulm
Yes, across time and distance. And because it's unconscious we don't really have access to it except through the unconscious expression through dreams ,art and poetry. Music. Architecture. ....
I think the big examples are Leonardo da Vinci and Tesla, no way they came up with all that stuff by themselves consciously. Or Isaac Newton's insight of gravity.
But that same Collective unconscious could let us know that 200 miles away Grandma is dying.
It has been a long time since I studied Carl Jung. I would almost call him a Quantum psychologist. But his day-to-day techniques have become mainstream. He died in the late sixties and was very unhappy that the New Age movement had co-opted a lot of his thinking. He was once quoted as saying I never said that or meant that.:)

I have my own (more modern) take on this as I believe that nothing "new" is really new - someone else at some point in time appeared to have the same unique and independent idea that someone claims they more recently had. For example, I think it is very likely that early hominid sat in their caves looking at their static, primitive wall paintings and imagined those images moving like "movies". Just because we suspect they didn't have the technology back then to splice together separate sequential wall art images and project them onto the wall does NOT mean that they did not envision a similar kind of entertaining result.

Nothing new is really new. Agreed wholeheartedly. But let's add in the one hundredth monkey Theory.
Monkey scientists were observing monkeys on an island somewhere in the South Pacific. A few monkeys were using tools/ rocks to open up coconuts. And soon 100 monkeys were using rocks as tools open up coconuts. Suddenly on a neighboring Island all their resident monkeys began using tools to open up coconuts.
The 100th monkey caused the shift in the collective unconsciousness. It reached a critical mass. It became something monkeys did, rather than monkey see monkey do.

I think the big examples are Leonardo da Vinci and Tesla, no way they came up with all that stuff by themselves consciously. Or Isaac Newton's insight of gravity. .:)

been a while since ive studied anything from carl jung, and then it was just his contributions on the philosophical side.
but with art, poetry, music, architecture, and even the inventions of Davinci,..)..these accomplishments and talent weren't learned from one individual alone....with the rise of the renaissance period, artists and artistic abilities flourished because everyone built off of each others work....(which is whats meant by artists workshops today.) when ppl work together and learn from each other, even in a competitive way, we see great, rapid strides in development and creation.... I think that is more the case in these areas.

Reactions: Lynne and 7Critter
Nothing new is really new. Agreed wholeheartedly. But let's add in the one hundredth monkey Theory.
Monkey scientists were observing monkeys on an island somewhere in the South Pacific. A few monkeys were using tools/ rocks to open up coconuts. And soon 100 monkeys were using rocks as tools open up coconuts. Suddenly on a neighboring Island all their resident monkeys began using tools to open up coconuts.
The 100th monkey caused the shift in the collective unconsciousness. It reached a critical mass. It became something monkeys did, rather than monkey see monkey do.

I think I get it. At some point a critical mass causes info to persist further. Boom!

And I was thinking you were going to tell me the 100th monkey was psychic. Or he had a cell phone maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7Critter