Future of radio

I live 60 miles from Chicago, and we have an embarrassment of AM riches ! I've been a fan since age 10, and tune in all day 40 years later. There are at least 12 stations I can tune in everyday and be happy with. One thing I know, formats evolve and devolve often. One theme I see is when $$$ falls, a new program directer is hired, makes major changes, and $$$ falls even further. The real successful ones are built up like a sports team, all around a theme like 'local personality talk' 'conservative national big hitters' 'conservative little hitters w/ a religious focus', local sports talk vs general national sports talk.' The #1 forever is all news all the time - almost on a loop. (Debi gets the pun and knows WBBM.)
Still, w/ all the pro & college sports here, every station has bought rights to broadcast a team. So lots of regular shows are pre-empted by baseball & basketball & hockey.
The moral - be who you are.
I love am radio. My fav sports station is in fm tho so I spend a lot of time listening to 97.1 The ticket

Reactions: Paintman
Personally I don’t find this news concerning at all. The future of media is going to be focused on digital media providers including those who offer quality audio and video productions for an ever growing audience. Since my journey into podcasting began back in late December 2013, my numbers have grown substantially to the point where my audience exceeds that of many local public radio stations. In fact the future for Mysterious Matters is a bi-product offering of audio and video.

Now with respect to what Jim mentioned concerning YouTube, he is partially correct. YouTube isn’t the goldmine it once was, however with that said it still generates a nice and consistent income for my channel. The problem with YouTube is they take forty-five percent of all ad revenue (not even going to mention YouTube Red), but they do offer a huge base of advertisers who are willing to splurge on good quality material.

In the future, I do see the potential of breaking away from YouTube and powering Mysterious Matters through its own streaming servers, and by doing so, being able to negotiate ad fees with its own base of advertisers.

Reactions: Debi
Personally I don’t find this news concerning at all. The future of media is going to be focused on digital media providers including those who offer quality audio and video productions for an ever growing audience. Since my journey into podcasting began back in late December 2013, my numbers have grown substantially to the point where my audience exceeds that of many local public radio stations. In fact the future for Mysterious Matters is a bi-product offering of audio and video.

Now with respect to what Jim mentioned concerning YouTube, he is partially correct. YouTube isn’t the goldmine it once was, however with that said it still generates a nice and consistent income for my channel. The problem with YouTube is they take forty-five percent of all ad revenue (not even going to mention YouTube Red), but they do offer a huge base of advertisers who are willing to splurge on good quality material.

In the future, I do see the potential of breaking away from YouTube and powering Mysterious Matters through its own streaming servers, and by doing so, being able to negotiate ad fees with its own base of advertisers.
Thanks Bob for this perspective. Good news , we will be getting a better product

Thanks Bob for this perspective. Good news , we will be getting a better product
Building toward a better product should always be the number one goal of media providers (digital or otherwise). Those who remain stagnant (or offering more of the same without adding something different) will eventually be flushed away by lack of interest on part of themselves or the audience.

Take for instant Mysterious Matters just signed a twenty-four episode sponsorship deal with K&N Filters. That sponsorship revenue went toward thousands of dollars worth of new equipment for our upcoming video edition of the program. We spoke of our ideas for the future of MM and they wanted to come on board.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Building toward a better product should always be the number one goal of media providers (digital or otherwise). Those who remain stagnant (or offering more of the same without adding something different) will eventually be flushed away by lack of interest on part of themselves or the audience.

Take for instant Mysterious Matters just signed a twenty-four episode sponsorship deal with K&N Filters. That sponsorship revenue went toward thousands of dollars worth of new equipment for our upcoming video edition of the program. We spoke of our ideas for the future of MM and they wanted to come on board.
You deffinately have a good show and are bring it every time.

You deffinately have a good show and are bring it every time.
Thank you.
There are times when I am pretty sure I failed but the end product comes out decent enough.
This is something Ian and I spoke about on multiple occasions. That while we may not be able to hit gold 100% of the time it doesn't mean we can't create the semblance of hitting gold through the power of editing.