Checking Out...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
IT APPEARS THE WORLD HAS SWIFTLY GONE SELF CHECK-OUT!
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS NEW WAY OF SHOPPING?
AND WHAT HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE WHEN I WASN'T LOOKING?
DO YOU LIKE THIS OR HATE THIS AND HOW MANY OF YOUR STORES HAVE ALREADY SWITCHED OVER TO IT?

311668165_1557147971461806_1704294459594756912_n.jpg

I don't shop at brick and morter stores anymore, but Mr. Garnet uses self checkout sometimes. He hates it when the thing malfunctions and he ends up having to wait for someone to come over and deal with it.

Customer service seems to be a thing of the past, both with the manners now displayed, and the absence of customer service personnel!

I don't like or use self checkout very much. Rather have cashiers that I am friendly with have those jobs. Still understand their need with all the competition in retail.

Forget about it when you have to weigh a half a dozen different vegetables that you don't really know their names. Peppers & lettuce ? There are a gazillion different ones.

Think it's still a good idea when you only have a few items in a big box store.

People were in an uproar to raise wages...this is part of that fallout. Not to blow up a whole political/ethical debate on zero skill to skilled to far more skilled ratios and earning your wage due to experience not 'even the 4th place guy/girl needs a trophy mentality'. Plus Covid really changed our world. Never would've imagined how different it became, though parts are returning to 'normal'. Did i mention the whole bring your own bag thing? Ugh.

I prefer self check out when I only have a few items, like so few I just carry them in my hand and don't bother with a basket, cart, buggy or whatever else the call it around the world. When I'm doing my "big shopping" and getting a week or two worth of groceries then self checkout is terrible. It slows the whole process down as I can't simultaneously unload the cart, scan, bag and reload the cart by myself.

Not too long ago there was a chain of grocery stores in our area where the employees went on strike for higher wages. My kids saw this and started asking a bunch of questions. So I went through the dynamics of running a business and how an employee costs more than just their wage. I also went through the concepts of minimum wage and cost of living. Even though I have my own biases in this matter I tried to give them a complete, even handed explanation for all of this. They were left somewhat confused because they could empathize with the different sides and that made it hard to find a solution. I then threw in the idea of automation, the cost of self checkout machines is going down and the technology behind robots is improving. Right now it's cheaper/easier to have humans doing this work but that can change.

The strike ended and the store employees went back to work. But within a few months the number of self checkouts was increased and now outnumber the non self checkouts. We also saw an autonomous floor cleaner moving itself up and down the aisles doing the sweeping and cleaning a human used to do.

People were in an uproar to raise wages...this is part of that fallout. Not to blow up a whole political/ethical debate on zero skill to skilled to far more skilled ratios and earning your wage due to experience not 'even the 4th place guy/girl needs a trophy mentality'. Plus Covid really changed our world. Never would've imagined how different it became, though parts are returning to 'normal'. Did i mention the whole bring your own bag thing? Ugh.
A supermarket here has stopped providing plastic bags, and instead sell the re-usable ones, or paper bags.

I prefer self check out when I only have a few items, like so few I just carry them in my hand and don't bother with a basket, cart, buggy or whatever else the call it around the world. When I'm doing my "big shopping" and getting a week or two worth of groceries then self checkout is terrible. It slows the whole process down as I can't simultaneously unload the cart, scan, bag and reload the cart by myself.

Not too long ago there was a chain of grocery stores in our area where the employees went on strike for higher wages. My kids saw this and started asking a bunch of questions. So I went through the dynamics of running a business and how an employee costs more than just their wage. I also went through the concepts of minimum wage and cost of living. Even though I have my own biases in this matter I tried to give them a complete, even handed explanation for all of this. They were left somewhat confused because they could empathize with the different sides and that made it hard to find a solution. I then threw in the idea of automation, the cost of self checkout machines is going down and the technology behind robots is improving. Right now it's cheaper/easier to have humans doing this work but that can change.

The strike ended and the store employees went back to work. But within a few months the number of self checkouts was increased and now outnumber the non self checkouts. We also saw an autonomous floor cleaner moving itself up and down the aisles doing the sweeping and cleaning a human used to do.
I've seen those autonomous floor cleaners, too. Kind of spooky! I wondered if I should say good morning as it went by? :D

First the list of stores where I’ve encounter self check include at least Home Depot, Lowe’s, Target, and CVS.

Lowes is the one which offends me the most because on some days they have zero cashier-staffed lanes.

I really prefer to have retail with a mixed option. Though I am patient beyond mortal men, I still don’t like getting stuck in a line behind either a cashier nor a shopper who is struggling so much that there is like five extra minutes added to my wait when no merchandise is being rung in nor is any money exchanging hands. I know the same can happen at a self-service kiosk too. But having self-serve lanes opens up choices to work around many of these delays.

Last edited: