That Sound Reminds Me Of.....

What is a wood pigeon and how did they get hot lol. This is a new one for me. I am just joking but I have no idea. Are these the clay ones that are used in target shooting?
Haha! I think there's a crossed wire here! A wood pigeon is a real pigeon but it's wild as opposed to the ones you see in cities with mangled feet. They are the plump, healthy ones that hang out in woodland and end up on fancy menus in nice restaurants. They don't get hot (maybe they do?!) but I think you thought I said "cooling" when I meant "cooing", lol! So, the noise they make is called "cooing" because they coo (a lot!)! It sounds something like this: "Coo coooo coo coo coo! Coo coooo coo coo coo!" I'll see if I can post a video of one with audio and you'll see what I mean. I feel fairly sure you must have these in the States, but maybe you don't...I'll be interested to find out! :)

Last edited:
Name a sound that, if you hear it or remember hearing it, takes you back to a specific time/place or event in your life.

This question was asked on a trivia/nostalgia talk radio show out of Boston I listen to on Saturday nights. My answer came to me immediately.

In every school I attended (K-12), every classroom had a wall clock slaved to a school master clock. The minute hands on these classroom clocks did not move continuously, but moved one minute at a time with an audible "click-click."

Remembering that sound reminds me of sitting in a classroom waiting for that last minute of the class/day to click off. I particularly recall waiting to hear that sound in 8th grade English as our teacher droned on about Pip and "Great Expectations."
Cicada's bring me back to summer evenings as a child.

Cicada's bring me back to summer evenings as a child.
There was chat about bonfires. Love the sound and heat from a bonfire during a cold night. I remember hanging out by a raging fire and snowing as the flakes melted long before they hit the flames. Great times sitting around with friends and just talking about whatever.

Oh, that's them! That sound takes me back too, though I didn't know what it was, as my pigeon education was Pigeon Street:
This about as useful as learning about dove sounds by listening to Prince.
Oh, now that took *me* back! I used to love watching Pigeon Street, lol. But yes, not a great lesson in ornithology! :D

Haha! I think there's a crossed wire here! A wood pigeon is a real pigeon but it's wild as opposed to the ones you see in cities with mangled feet. They are the plump, healthy ones that hang out in woodland and end up on fancy menus in nice restaurants. They don't get hot (maybe they do?!) but I think you thought I said "cooling" when I meant "cooing", lol! So, the noise they make is called "cooing" because they coo (a lot!)! It sounds something like this: "Coo coooo coo coo coo! Coo coooo coo coo coo!" I'll see if I can post a video of one with audio and you'll see what I mean. I feel fairly sure you must have these in the States, but maybe you don't...I'll be interested to find out! :)
We do have pigeons in the states. I am laughing at myself because I obviously did read that wrong.

Frieght trains. The whistle getting louder, then the engine, then the clanking. Home. And still home someplace else.

Chicago has elevated rail passenger trains instead of subways. The 'El'. It's such a unique sound to hear them overhead and fast echoing off the steel & glass skyscrapers.
More clacky sounding than clanky.

And... that memory brought back a memory of a gyro place where I used to have lunch with my friends.

• Love it
Reactions: Debi and Benway