Taking Flight...

Thanks for posting that video! I always try to get a window seat so that I can view the scenery, too. Once, on a flight from PA to NH, I was straining to see out the window, and a couple next to me were clutching their armrests and looking terrified. They looked at me as if I were crazy, lol.
You are certainly welcome Ma’am!

Reactions: garnetsilver
I love planes. As a kid I used to play flight simulator games on the computer. When my uncle was working on getting his pilots license he needed to log a certain number of hours on a rental plane and he would often take me along. It was fun for me.

The best flight was when I was in the military and we were going on deployment to South America. It was a long flight and one of the pilots wanted to take a little break. As he walked out of the cockpit he looked at the guys in the unit, most of whom were asleep, and probably saw that I was the only one who seemed to be actually enjoying the flight. He pointed at me and asked "Hey, do you wanna sit up front?" I happily jumped up into the pilots seat next to the co-pilot. The co-pilot started telling me about the controls in the cockpit like he was tour guide, things like "This is called the 'Throttle' can you guess what it does?" And of course I knew each and every control in the cockpit.

The co-pilots demeanor changed a bit, instead of asking "Can you guess what this is" he started asking things like "Do you know how this works", which I did. He then started naming controls and asking me to find them and tell him what the did and why they are necessary. He even started using pilot jargon and technical terms, giving me hypothetical scenarios, like "We're on an ILS approach and are cleared for runway 27, what do you do?". I wasn't quite as up to speed on some things but I was demonstrating to the co-pilot a lot of aviation knowledge. I didn't know what he was thinking but I was having a blast. Though I still wasn't prepared for what the co-pilot did next.

He said something the lines of "For not being a pilot you sure know an awful lot about planes" as he looked around at the various controls. Then he said "I think we've covered pretty much the entire cockpit, except this right here" and he placed his finger on a switch next to a digital readout. He said "This is the automatic pilot, and you turn it off like this" as he flipped the switch. He then leaned back in his seat, crossed his arms and said "Take the stick and be ready for a course correction in 10 minutes". For the next 2 hours or so I flew the plane while the co-pilot talked me through how the controls should feel and other minor details they can't program into a computer game.

I dig flying. Just took a flight a few mnths back. Back in the day (late 90's) I would always drink Bloody marys on board. When I flew to DC back in '99 to visit my cousin, I drank my normal 2 but got some Indian woman to buy me 2 more. When I landed, I was quite drunk. Lol Like the "Drunk on a plane" song. Lol.
I love the window seat. It’s amazing how many baseball fields and especially Swimming pools people have! You also wanna be far in the back even tho I am usually on the damn wing. Reason is you are closer to the bathroom! Lol.
I’ve included a vid I shot a couple months ago, leaving in Los Angeles from the ground all the way to the sky. Enjoy.
Mr. Garnet thinks that the video is just too cool!!

Reactions: Tworivers71
Another strange flight was the one coming back from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The super lovely TSA creeps swore i had something in my jeans lol. I am standing there in my socks and jean pockets inside out and felt like a total idiot lol. I'm like, dude...you are picking up the rivets in my jeans lol. That flight left from the tarmac and the one and only time i starting climbing the ladder and got such a feeling of dread like i was never coming home lol. I almost turned around and rented a car, but sucked it up and figured well, if it's my time, so be it lol. We landed perfectly lol.
(Twilight Zone ref:) Did the stewardess look at you and say, "Room for one more, honey?" :grinning:

Many years ago you could go to an airport and just sit in an observation area to watch planes take off and land. It was actually an outing we did as a family every so often. This was well before all the screening and security, but I remember it as being fascinating to watch. We each got a soda and snack and just enjoyed the coming and going of planes for a few hours.

My Peoria son deliberately chose a home near an airport. And a military airport close by as well. He loves sitting on his deck watching the flights come and go.

Many years ago you could go to an airport and just sit in an observation area to watch planes take off and land. It was actually an outing we did as a family every so often. This was well before all the screening and security, but I remember it as being fascinating to watch. We each got a soda and snack and just enjoyed the coming and going of planes for a few hours.

My Peoria son deliberately chose a home near an airport. And a military airport close by as well. He loves sitting on his deck watching the flights come and go.
Yea before 9/11. That would have been awesome.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Yea before 9/11. That would have been awesome.
Many of those observation areas were closed prior to 9/11, primarily due to liability concerns by the airports and airlines. Some airports had an outdoor observation deck atop terminal buildings, complete with coin operated binoculars. I haven't seen one open in years, and I would bet 9/11 put an end to them for good.