People "on-line"

I used to belong to a forum about 12 years ago. There were a lot of lonely men there, and they were always lamenting about not being able to find someone to date. One guy who was a regular on the forums, was always bemoaning his height (he was short) and he was also something of a mysogynist.

Around that time I met Mr. Garnet and we had just started getting acquainted. The mysogynist had started a thread about why women went for certain types. He had a poll going asking if women preferred guys who were taller.

I responded to the poll, stating my preference for taller men, and he started flirting and claiming that he was smarter than me. I said that I was currently dating a guy who was tall, and he got offended. After that, he stalked me across the site, harassing me and mocking me. I had to leave the site for good.
Sorry to hear about that, Garnet. Some people are just horrible. And he sounds like a fitting example of someone that doesn't belong on a forum.

Sorry to hear about that, Garnet. Some people are just horrible. And he sounds like a fitting example of someone that doesn't belong on a forum.
He was one of the long term people there. In fact, I looked in some time last year, and he was still complaining about his single state and starting polls and discussions about why women always go for the "bad boys, millionaires, or tall men." I feel sorry for him.

When this forum first began under Bob Bain as an Art Bell program forum, I had never been on a forum before. I didn't have a clue what a forum was, but hey, Art Bell's name was enough to get me to sign up here.

Enter one newbie Debi in 2013 who struck up a few friendships. One was a guy who shared an interest in another radio program and we discussed that on a thread for that program here. About a month after joining, I was shocked to find the guy had sent me some lewd pics of himself! I was thisclose to never returning when Bob contacted me on PM and let me know he had removed the offending pics and banned this guy and talked me into staying on. (I was so naive I didn't even know about the PM system here until the little red flag came up on my screen!) Turns out the person was kinda well known over on another site as a pedo so some of you may know who I'm talking about.

That encounter kinda stuck in my head resulting in my "rules" here!
Yikes.

Your post reminded me of another guy on ICSABBS. I don't recall his screen name, but he was obsessed with early 90s teen singer Debbie Gibson. He posted about her all the time.

One time he posted he was flying to NYC to see her perform. Turns out when she left the theater, he was outside waiting for her. She recognized his name immediately and called the police because he'd been harassing her by mail, email, and phone for some time. He was arrested for stalking, and eventually was ordered to undergo psychiatric treatment.
Yikes again!

I had met a friend years ago online. Eventually when i had the money, i did go visit her in England. I only was there a few days but i was able to stay at her place (flat). She did not want any money for me to stay there, but i insisted on pitching in for food when we went into town (village) lol. The slang/language was pretty damn funny. There were multiple times we looked at each other and was like...Huh?! lol

I had met a friend years ago online. Eventually when i had the money, i did go visit her in England. I only was there a few days but i was able to stay at her place (flat). She did not want any money for me to stay there, but i insisted on pitching in for food when we went into town (village) lol. The slang/language was pretty damn funny. There were multiple times we looked at each other and was like...Huh?! lol
I have friends over here from Birmingham UK, I could barely understand the accent at first. They are rough but really funny and nice people in a Peaky Blinder kind of way. If you have seen the series you'll know what I mean, lol.

Who is the most unforgettable person you've ever "met" on-line?

Did you marry someone you met in a chat room?
Find a kindred spirit with whom you became good friends?
Did you discover an archnemesis who kept you awake at nights mentally composing response posts?

ive never met anyone in real life from an online meeting, i have moderated a few groups over the years and got to know a few people enough to e-mail and share phone numbers with, but am no longer in touch with any of them. the only forums ive actually gotten to know anyone good enough to consider actual real life "friends" (people who i could actually contact via e-mail or phone, which is a level of trust not given on most forums) were 2 forums that required members to use their actual real names. both were private members only type forums, one where only members could see the postings, and the other was a combination of open forums and members only sections for those who were invited in. both were good forums and allowed a more trusting environment where you got to know everyone past a made up screen name. the problem with forums and online friendships is they start off with a lie, lol, a made up name to begin with dousnt really show a trustworthyness from the git-go...lol... i know, i know, the forum or chatroom "handle" was cool back in the day, but with facebook and social media using real names and pics its kinda a thing of the past now. this is the only forum i now frequent other than a very few facebook hobbyist type groups.

Just a thought. I have to comment on the use of real names for a moment. If any of you have had a situation of on line stalking and harassment, perhaps you can understand the reluctance of some people to put their real name out there. My using a "handle" doesn't diminish the sincerity of my presence here or my genuine enjoyment of my interactions with other members.