People "on-line"

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Who is the most unforgettable person you've ever "met" on-line?

Did you marry someone you met in a chat room?
Find a kindred spirit with whom you became good friends?
Did you discover an archnemesis who kept you awake at nights mentally composing response posts?

Probably yourself Debi and the good people on here have helped me in my life the most. I met a lady on a phone chat, before the internet. We got on so well in every way until and both thought this could be the one. When we met in person we had absolutely no chemistry or attraction physically for each other. I think while spiritually we were in love our physical bodies were not compatible. I think people should meet up before getting too carried away and unless you are really lucky it may be disappointing.

Back in 1990, the Univ of Iowa opened one of the first bulletin board systems (BBS) in the world. Called ISCABBS, it functioned much like we do here, various threads on which to comment and the ability to send private messages. At times there were literally more than a thousand users on line, with hundreds more in the queue.

One of the most prolific posters at the BBS was a guy who called himself "Prussian Prince." He actually claimed to have been of noble heritage, and to hear him tell it he knew half the world's celebrities....entertainment industry, sports, politics, etc. While he was posting, he claimed to be part of the Florida State University football staff, but his claimed life's previous stops were eye watering. There wasn't a thread on that BBS he didn't post on and present himself as an authority. Think an early Thomas from La Jolla.

At some point, early 2000s I think, he PMed a few of us a newspaper article that told the story of someone who'd run afoul of the law. The article was significant, he explained, because he and the guy in the article shared the same name, first name was Paul and the surname was very Polish. It was odd the guy would seemingly out of left field tells us who he was. I figured something was in the wind.

Several months later, one of the other guys he'd confided his identity to PMed to tell me he had heard a rumor Prince had died. He eventually found an obit for him, and his death was the "talk" of the BBS. Posting traffic also declined noticeably.

Over the next few years, someone kept logging into the dead guy's account, shown as "last online" similar to here. Little cryptic message from other members were also being posted hinting the guy wasn't really dead. Later it was discovered the guy had had at least a dozen accounts/screen names.

I still don't know if the guy had really died, but he was piece of work.

When this forum first began under Bob Bain as an Art Bell program forum, I had never been on a forum before. I didn't have a clue what a forum was, but hey, Art Bell's name was enough to get me to sign up here.

Enter one newbie Debi in 2013 who struck up a few friendships. One was a guy who shared an interest in another radio program and we discussed that on a thread for that program here. About a month after joining, I was shocked to find the guy had sent me some lewd pics of himself! I was thisclose to never returning when Bob contacted me on PM and let me know he had removed the offending pics and banned this guy and talked me into staying on. (I was so naive I didn't even know about the PM system here until the little red flag came up on my screen!) Turns out the person was kinda well known over on another site as a pedo so some of you may know who I'm talking about.

That encounter kinda stuck in my head resulting in my "rules" here!

When this forum first began under Bob Bain as an Art Bell program forum, I had never been on a forum before. I didn't have a clue what a forum was, but hey, Art Bell's name was enough to get me to sign up here.

Enter one newbie Debi in 2013 who struck up a few friendships. One was a guy who shared an interest in another radio program and we discussed that on a thread for that program here. About a month after joining, I was shocked to find the guy had sent me some lewd pics of himself! I was thisclose to never returning when Bob contacted me on PM and let me know he had removed the offending pics and banned this guy and talked me into staying on. (I was so naive I didn't even know about the PM system here until the little red flag came up on my screen!) Turns out the person was kinda well known over on another site as a pedo so some of you may know who I'm talking about.

Your post reminded me of another guy on ICSABBS. I don't recall his screen name, but he was obsessed with early 90s teen singer Debbie Gibson. He posted about her all the time.

One time he posted he was flying to NYC to see her perform. Turns out when she left the theater, he was outside waiting for her. She recognized his name immediately and called the police because he'd been harassing her by mail, email, and phone for some time. He was arrested for stalking, and eventually was ordered to undergo psychiatric treatment.

To counter the negative experiences, I just want to say that the friends I have made here on this forum I consider to be brothers and sisters of the soul. There is so much love in this group that I know I can always come here and find someone who will hold my hand or listen to me moan and groan if I need it. Thank you all for being members here and making me smile, laugh, and love, and also for allowing me to be part of your life and family.

The good old days! Haha

• RollEyesreaction
Reactions: Paintman and Debi