Is 'technical trouble' really the problem?

Do you think the evening's guest should be divulged ahead of time?

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • 'No'ory

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
Hi Booksdates

That is great news.

I had no Idea that Art had pickup so many new affiliates in Chicago land.

When did MITD start airing there on WLS?

WLS is a 50 Kilowatt blowtorch! It has a huge radio footprint.

The MITD affiliates page at ArtBell.com has not been updated and is still showing only one in IL station in Bloomington IL – WRPW 92.9 FM

I hope that means so many new affiliates are signing up that Art will be back to 15 Million listeners real soon.

ABC radio owned WLS since 1959.

This is a really an interesting development, because ABC-owned radio stations not affiliated with ESPN Radio or Radio Disney, including WLS, were sold to Citadel Broadcasting on June 12, 2007 with Citadel licensing the name ABC Radio for 2 years after the sale.

Citadel was bought by Cumulus Media on September 16, 2011.

Cumulus Media then terminated its affiliation with overnight radio program Coast to Coast AM on many of its stations, including WLS, in the spring of 2012.

Apparently George Snoory’s proclivity to just let London Book publishers auto-book any lame author with a British accent on C-to-C irrespective of author, book, or radio program quality, was noticed by the new bosses at Cumulus Media.

Now Art is back on WLS with MITD in less than four weeks after start-up.

I think this could easily lead to Art Bell Glory Days - - - Part II

With Best Regards,
PlasmonPolariton
Libertalien from the Pleiades Star Cluster
you are typing and posting some very informative stuff, plas! keep it up. i can tell you that the smaller stations in chi town will pick and choose what network shows they will take primarily because they are independently owned, however the big flame throwers like wls am 890 tend to have limited local in the morning drive slots and mostly all of the afternoon, evening and over nite, network. so they for instance do carry "mr. know it all"...ol rushbo and other shows from his network. just big business doing big business. now here savage is also on wls! certain things work here and certain things don't. even when bruce williams was huge all over america he never really landed a big station back here! now over nite i noticed that something i have never even heard of is on..no idea what they are doing in that slot! it would be great for art to jump into over nites on wls, however again with his business model it might not fit into a big time station. i believe he can still do it by entering this market at 560 am wind which is only 5k watt these days but does come into the city.

you are typing and posting some very informative stuff, plas! keep it up. i can tell you that the smaller stations in chi town will pick and choose what network shows they will take primarily because they are independently owned, however the big flame throwers like wls am 890 tend to have limited local in the morning drive slots and mostly all of the afternoon, evening and over nite, network. so they for instance do carry "mr. know it all"...ol rushbo and other shows from his network. just big business doing big business. now here savage is also on wls! certain things work here and certain things don't. even when bruce williams was huge all over america he never really landed a big station back here! now over nite i noticed that something i have never even heard of is on..no idea what they are doing in that slot! it would be great for art to jump into over nites on wls, however again with his business model it might not fit into a big time station. i believe he can still do it by entering this market at 560 am wind which is only 5k watt these days but does come into the city.

560 AM WIND would be lucky toget Art and MITD because when you wake up your still tuned to drive time and will boost ratings then too. I wondered about "Over-Nite" too. Since it is so non-specific . Probably pre-paid advertising for pharmaceuticals or dietary supplements.

I missed the first couple of minutes of MITD last night 12:00 AM EST.
I think Art said that he had added a new affiliate but had turned down many others ?
PLasmon

Reactions: booksdates
From Art:

MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT

We have a decision to make and I think I have made it. We can either serve our listener's and Time Traveler's or Radio Stations but not both because the stations want more Commercials. I am not going to do that. If they want to carry the show we will let them offset it to a later time but we will Not add more Commercial minutes. So what we can give them is ratings because what we are doing is clearly better in every way then anything else out there. For this reason I have said no to several big stations. I could build another big Network but then I would have what I left because it became something I could not live with. Those who do not learn from their mistakes repeat them.

Art

From Art:

MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT

We have a decision to make and I think I have made it. We can either serve our listener's and Time Traveler's or Radio Stations but not both because the stations want more Commercials. I am not going to do that. If they want to carry the show we will let them offset it to a later time but we will Not add more Commercial minutes. So what we can give them is ratings because what we are doing is clearly better in every way then anything else out there. For this reason I have said no to several big stations. I could build another big Network but then I would have what I left because it became something I could not live with. Those who do not learn from their mistakes repeat them.

Art
I just heard this from Art's 8-24-2015 radio show archive. He has set the limit to six commercials. Let's hope that all involved can make enough money to sustain the program.

Reactions: booksdates and Debi
It supprises me that Art is willing to allow time shifting. Some Internet latency normal. I think the six commercial limit is good to maintain the uniformity of the free-to-air and the Internet stream versions of MITD. I see no reason that that would preclude regeneration of the stream via satellite down-link based local rural Internet stream regeneration either as long as the source blanket music licence covered the regenerated streams as well as the originating streams, and each affiliate covered the music rights with it's own affiliate's blanket license. Art is saying that the show need not be considered exclusively Internet stream based. However long-range night time AM station signal propagation will not allow stereo HD audio reception. Local FM affiliates could do so, but the same rural areas that lack the Internet also lack local FM signals for the most part. So the question remains "How to get the quality HD audio of MITD into those vast rural areas without Internet Broadband?
It appears that super-long distance White-Spaces Internet WiFi to bridge the last 10-200 miles from a Ku band Earth Staion downlink is the only practical and low-cost way to accomplish that task with true HD digital audio fidelity.

Plasmon

i am glad art chimed in on this as it's his talent that we are speaking of and he and only he should have control over that intellectual property, imo. i believe he has made a concession by allowing terrestrials to carry the show not in real time (so now he is giving them a choice). what they are asking for in simple terms is a bigger piece of the advert dollars by eating up more of the clock. art has his spots in place and he makes money on those which is rightfully so. the big boys are showing their true intentions and art is pushing back! they want to eat up more of the advert time and that money is network and goes to the station and not art! he's already built a successful business model and i believe he wants to rebuild and maintain a livable model for himself and his family! let's do what we do and he can do what he does! we are fans...he is the talent!

Reactions: Debi
i am glad art chimed in on this as it's his talent that we are speaking of and he and only he should have control over that intellectual property, imo. i believe he has made a concession by allowing terrestrials to carry the show not in real time (so now he is giving them a choice). what they are asking for in simple terms is a bigger piece of the advert dollars by eating up more of the clock. art has his spots in place and he makes money on those which is rightfully so. the big boys are showing their true intentions and art is pushing back! they want to eat up more of the advert time and that money is network and goes to the station and not art! he's already built a successful business model and i believe he wants to rebuild and maintain a livable model for himself and his family! let's do what we do and he can do what he does! we are fans...he is the talent!
Well said, booksdates.....

believe he can still do it by entering this market at 560 am wind which is only 5k watt these days but does come into the city.
Hello fellow Chicagolander. I'm 50 miles south of the WIND 560 tower and it's clear and strong. I think they are our only chance of getting Art on live soon. WLS has the overnight syndicated news show... I call it the 'trucker show,' out of Dallas. I think they are part of the Rush package. Still, Rush's WLS contract is up in 2 years (or I've heard) and with all of WLS's recent lineup changes, (Steve Dahl:), Jonnie B.:eek:, and the White Sox:) next year, I see a chance for Art's show down the line. Any thoughts on this scenario ?
What about the zillion little local stations -- Gary, Hammond, Whiting, Kankakee and South county IL & IN ?
Enjoying your insights. Thanks.

Reactions: booksdates and Debi
Hello fellow Chicagolander. I'm 50 miles south of the WIND 560 tower and it's clear and strong. I think they are our only chance of getting Art on live soon. WLS has the overnight syndicated news show... I call it the 'trucker show,' out of Dallas. I think they are part of the Rush package. Still, Rush's WLS contract is up in 2 years (or I've heard) and with all of WLS's recent lineup changes, (Steve Dahl:), Jonnie B.:eek:, and the White Sox:) next year, I see a chance for Art's show down the line. Any thoughts on this scenario ?
What about the zillion little local stations -- Gary, Hammond, Whiting, Kankakee and South county IL & IN ?
Enjoying your insights. Thanks.
hey paint! good 2 hear from you and of course kudos 2 the wonderful person/people that put our forum 2gether. ok 50 miles south of elk grove village (for out of towners station is in elk grove near o'hare) and i want 2 guess that the tower is out along rt 53 somewhere south but it's been a long time since i have been out that way puts you in joliet? either way glad 2 hear from another local. i am in chicago proper and the 820 am studio and tower is near blocks away! wxrt fm/score 670 am also close by. well i believe wind is salem broadcasting as i was trying to get chuck harder (remember him? many of these so called patriots took their lead from him!) on the station and chuck gave me their credentials to do so..never happened). i like the idea a lot and that is something that needs to be addressed to art's sales guy in alaska. oh btw- we get wind down here also. very few shows i like on there though since big john howell went to wls (know him he's all class!). amy and he worked their magic wonderfully in am drive! i loved how they played off each other, but do not know what happened there! money, money, money...i guess! in the meantime get yourself a little sw radio like a kaito digital or something on the cheap. that station out of nashville comes in really good. i just programmed the sw stations that art mentions on his site and click around to tune in to the best one up here! i have the tablet also, but i prefer the actual sound of a radio!....lately my biggest problem is falling asleep when uncle art comes on! i wait up, get in bed, tune in and then wake up to dead air! art is over and station has switched gears! haha! anyway we all love art and appreciate that he got back on the saddle! let him do it the way he wants to and sees fit for his lifestyle! i mean i could listen to him 7 days a week 4 hours a day, but that doesn't work for him!

Reactions: Paintman