Hawking's warning

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Hawking feared rise of enhanced 'superhumans' - Unexplained Mysteries

The late physicist predicted that genetic engineering will ultimately render half of the world's population obsolete.
Hawking, who died back in March, left a collection of papers and articles which included some of his notes on the existential dangers our species may face in the coming decades.

Of particular interest were his thoughts on a future in which wealthy individuals might choose to have themselves and their children genetically enhanced, thus leading to a race of 'improved' superhumans.

"Laws will probably be passed against genetic engineering with humans," hawking wrote. "But some people won't be able to resist the temptation to improve human characteristics, such as memory, resistance to disease and length of life."

Once this begins to happen, genetically enhanced individuals could end up outclassing their 'unimproved' counterparts, creating a two-tier society that could prove disastrous for many.

"Once such superhumans appear, there will be significant political problems with unimproved humans, who won't be able to compete," wrote Hawking. "Presumably, they will die out, or become unimportant. Instead, there will be a race of self-designing beings who are improving at an ever-increasing rate."

His thoughts echo those of others who believe that the future of our species lies, not in natural evolution, but in genetic modification and technological augmentation.

Some have even argued that such a transformation may have already begun.

Reactions: Charleh
I really think it's already begun. Now, I ask you....can it be stopped?

If I may, of more pressing concern to me is this gem:

Same-sex mice have babies

Basically, males might be genetically engineered right out of our species.

Reactions: ozentity
If I may, of more pressing concern to me is this gem:

Same-sex mice have babies

Basically, males might be genetically engineered right out of our species.
I saw this. And yes, think about the ever falling sperm counts in men these days. You guys may have to be listed on the protected species list. Unnerving.

Reactions: ozentity
Skirting politics a bit, for which I apologize, I'm also concerned about certain anti-male societal trends in western nations. In relation to this, I mean.

Skirting politics a bit, for which I apologize, I'm also concerned about certain anti-male societal trends in western nations. In relation to this, I mean.
We can skirt because that is truth right now. I totally disagree with this all out assault on men. It is offensive to me as a woman as well. There is a balance in this world of male/female, and we just tipped so far the other direction we are askew again.

My big concern is that all of this combined is leading us to this transhuman future. Which is where they want us to go. Feel herded?

Reactions: NobleHouse
I saw this. And yes, think about the ever falling sperm counts in men these days. You guys may have to be listed on the protected species list. Unnerving.
Thanks fluoride and soy

Reactions: Debi
It will be a dark day for women.Who will mow the lawn and take out the garbage?Who will they ask what dress to wear,even if they choose the other.Apart from that, probably not much difference except most breweries will close down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi