Dark Matter 10/9 - Art Bell interviews Dr. Andrew Karam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to share an office with a geophysicist who was trying to figure out how the earth's magnetic field formed and behaved. She was the first to admit that they understood the major parts, but very few of the fine details. And the whole subject of how a planetary magnetic field forms in the first place is still somewhat of a mystery. But if we knew everything then it wouldn't be fun anymore!
Indeed - Thanks Andy - and have a good evening!

Reactions: Shadow
Much older boat - a 594 class. And I was a machinists mate - I went to college after getting out of the Navy.

Ahh...Thresher Class. Well MM is a very honorable job, so is being a nuke. Although horrible in many ways many people will never understand, neither classification is easy to obtain. Thanks for adding an opposing viewpoint to Art's show. Have a good morning and thank you again. Goodnight everyone, I'll be back to these boards again. :)

No Reply Necessary (NRN), but it was finally nice to hear a reasoned nuclear professional rather than the typical anti-nuke nutjobs I'm accustomed to. I only caught the last hour or so, and was expecting the worst - but no, I actually heard rational opinions on the topic.

Reactions: whiptrackercracker
I grew up near Trojan in Rainier, Oregon. Do you have any info on that power plant? It seemed it was always having issues.

You know - looking at all your handles makes me realize that I'm really new to this since I just used my name. I just wanted you all to know it was me posting.

I grew up near Trojan in Rainier, Oregon. Do you have any info on that power plant? It seemed it was always having issues.

That's not one that I really know anything about - none of my colleagues worked there. But one thing to keep in mind is that if even the slightest thing goes wrong at a nuke plant everyone hears about it. To me the important thing is not so much "is it in the news" as "how serious is the stuff being reported?" If it's in the news a lot, but it's all really small stuff I don't think I'd worry much.

That's not one that I really know anything about - none of my colleagues worked there. But one thing to keep in mind is that if even the slightest thing goes wrong at a nuke plant everyone hears about it. To me the important thing is not so much "is it in the news" as "how serious is the stuff being reported?" If it's in the news a lot, but it's all really small stuff I don't think I'd worry much.
Yeah, I remember just the steam from the cooling tower caused a lot of panic at first until all the locals were educated on it. It has been decommissioned for several years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.