Will you allow Tech to run your home?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
From Echo to Ring doorbell and Fire TV, are you comfortable with Amazon controlling your smart home?

Your guests are greeted at the door with a video doorbell from Ring, a company Amazon bought in 2018. They enter a living room where an Amazon Echo speaker plays music as it waits for voice commands.

Then they head to the kitchen, where an Amazon microwave heats up dinner – made from food bought at Amazon-owned Whole Foods, naturally – as you turn down the volume on the Amazon Fire TV Edition television.

You ask Alexa to dim the smart lights, using the one smart product in the home not owned by Amazon (yet), the Hue system by Philips N.V.

And the Wi-Fi, the guts of the system, without which none of the other products could operate, is being controlled by the latest device bought by Amazon, the Eero.

Are you comfortable with Amazon controlling so much of your home? On Twitter, some weren't this week.

"Terrible news," @RickWilliams wrote in a tweet. "I liked that they (Eero) seemed privacy conscious and were very responsive. Now they are going to be owned by one of the biggest data suckers out there. Scares me a bit."

"This is terrible news for my privacy concerns," tweeted @SteveRiggins to Eero. "I don’t let Alexa in my house for those reasons and now you back doored me."

Full story at site

Reactions: Donna K.
So!!! How much of your home is under tech control? How safe do you feel with it in your home?

I do have a google dot. But only use it for playing music and weather info. It don't operate anything else..... My house is old, built in the 40's and isn't very tech compatible....lol....
Did you know that you can now download apps to your phone to operate you T.V. and other entertainment systems....seems now all TV's and sterios are also android or apple compatible, so even if you don't own google or Alexa you still probably have some version in your home without even realising it.....

Reactions: Donna K. and Mokey
Alexa. Why does she hear a whisper 500 feet away in a downpour of rain and hail??

I do have a google dot. But only use it for playing music and weather info. It don't operate anything else..... My house is old, built in the 40's and isn't very tech compatible....lol....
Did you know that you can now download apps to your phone to operate you T.V. and other entertainment systems....seems now all TV's and sterios are also android or apple compatible, so even if you don't own google or Alexa you still probably have some version in your home without even realising it.....
I found out it's on my Kindle...and guess what? You can't remove it! :mad:

I found out it's on my Kindle...and guess what? You can't remove it! :mad:
Yep....phones, tablets, kindle, etc... All have way too many backdoors and apps built into them....from !location to spy type programs you dont want.....

Reactions: Donna K. and Mokey