When our dreams feel like warnings

Hello! Hope you’re all well.
I’d like to share something with you because I wonder if someone else has ever had this experience. I have an intriguing dream that haunts me often.
During my heavy sleep, I feel that an oppressive presence is trying to dominate me. I cannot see its face but only feel a malignant energy. During the dream, I’m always able to fight it. A mix of desperation and courage fills my heart and what saves me is to scream that I only belong to God. It’s a heavy feeling so heavy that I wake up feeling like I resuscitated. Well, I ask myself if it’s just my imagination influenced by the fact that I adopted the habit of visiting your site before going to sleep.
I visit this site almost every night because I find the reading somehow fascinating and amusing , with all the respect. Hope I’m not being offensive and if I’m, please accept my apologies.
I ‘m not asking for help; I really feel like our free will is very limited and that I’m in the hands of a major force. I was born a catholic but I don’t believe in any religion. I don’t think we need an institution to have a direct contact with the supreme.
Here in Italy, it’s almost time for bed.
Have a blessed week!

I’d like to share something with you because I wonder if someone else has ever had this experience. I have an intriguing dream that haunts me often.
During my heavy sleep, I feel that an oppressive presence is trying to dominate me. I cannot see its face but only feel a malignant energy. During the dream, I’m always able to fight it. A mix of desperation and courage fills my heart and what saves me is to scream that I only belong to God. It’s a heavy feeling so heavy that I wake up feeling like I resuscitated. Well, I ask myself if it’s just my imagination influenced by the fact that I adopted the habit of visiting your site before going to sleep.
I visit this site almost every night because I find the reading somehow fascinating and amusing , with all the respect. Hope I’m not being offensive and if I’m, please accept my apologies.
I ‘m not asking for help; I really feel like our free will is very limited and that I’m in the hands of a major force. I was born a catholic but I don’t believe in any religion. I don’t think we need an institution to have a direct contact with the supreme.
Have a blessed week!
Hi Scristine. In reading your account of this dream, there are a few things I don't understand. First, you say you have an "intriguing dream that haunts you often." Does that mean you have the dream repeatedly, or the memory of the dream haunts you? When did you first have the dream? If you've had the dream multiple times, does any aspect of it ever change?

You mention "what saves you is screaming." Does this mean you are screaming only within the dream or do you wake yourself up screaming outloud? If you have the dream repeatedly, you might consider placing a voice activated recorder on a night stand or otherwise near the bed to hear if you are talking aloud during the dream.

The words (oppressive, malignant, desperation, major force, etc.) you've used to describe this dream and its effects on you makes it clear you believe you are dealing with something negative and malevolent. For that reason I'd recommend following the advice given by Debi in the post below. I especially put a great deal of faith in the St Michael's Prayer. I'm sure others better qualified than I will also offer opinions/advice.

If you're dealing with something negative or malevolent then as Duke has mentioned, following that guide should help you a lot.

There is an alternative. Though, I've actually never seen it used in a situation were the person is dealing with a negative / malevolent energy. Learning how to Lucid Dream Is a great way of confronting fears while getting down to the roots of it. This is just a suggestion and since I'm not knowledgeable with dealing with negative / malevolent energies, this alternative way may not be the best route in case it makes the situation worse.

I have a Nephew who has nightmares if he is reading or watching anything scary before he heads off to sleep. Perhaps it may be worth not coming onto this website before sleep and see if your dreams become better.

Sorry I couldn't of been more help. I hope you get back to having wonderful dreams asap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a blessed week!
This is sometimes referred to as "Old Hag Syndrome" or sleep paralysis. It can take the form of full out can't move to the more subtle form you describe as an intense lucid dream type experience. It's actually rather common to have the experience and is often stress related. The mind can do strange things! If it is some type of dream intruder, then you are already doing exactly the right thing by letting it know you are God's child and to leave.

Since you specifically stated you were not asking for help, I'm simply going to thank you for sharing the experience with us! Sometimes that's the most therapeutic thing one can do to handle dream states. I know I've shared a lot of mine here as well.

I also want to thank you for coming by to read us as part of your daily routine. Nice to know we can make you smile. :) (And hopefully not give the nightmares!)

Hi Scristine. In reading your account of this dream, there are a few things I don't understand. First, you say you have an "intriguing dream that haunts you often." Does that mean you have the dream repeatedly, or the memory of the dream haunts you? When did you first have the dream? If you've had the dream multiple times, does any aspect of it ever change?

You mention "what saves you is screaming." Does this mean you are screaming only within the dream or do you wake yourself up screaming outloud? If you have the dream repeatedly, you might consider placing a voice activated recorder on a night stand or otherwise near the bed to hear if you are talking aloud during the dream.

The words (oppressive, malignant, desperation, major force, etc.) you've used to describe this dream and its effects on you makes it clear you believe you are dealing with something negative and malevolent. For that reason I'd recommend following the advice given by Debi in the post below. I especially put a great deal of faith in the St Michael's Prayer. I'm sure others better qualified than I will also offer opinions/advice.

Hello Duke, thanks for taking time, trying to understand my account , and please, forgive my English!!
Unfortunately, I don’t remember when it started, perhaps six months ago but this is just a guess. Well, I should start taking notes about it soon after waking up so it’d be easier to find out what it is really going on . It doesn’t happen every night, though. Regarding the scream, it happens within the dream but it’s so intense that when I wake up I feel heavily. Duke, I really appreciate your help...
If things start getting out of control, I’ll definitely follow all Debi’s procedures and advices, but right now, I feel it in my heart that the best thing to be done is to ignore it while I can handle it. I decided to tell my experience to find out if there are others going through the same.
I don’t know what time it’s in your part of the US but here it’s 3:26 am. Another sleepiness night for me.
I wish you a nice day or good night

This is sometimes referred to as "Old Hag Syndrome" or sleep paralysis. It can take the form of full out can't move to the more subtle form you describe as an intense lucid dream type experience. It's actually rather common to have the experience and is often stress related. The mind can do strange things! If it is some type of dream intruder, then you are already doing exactly the right thing by letting it know you are God's child and to leave.

Since you specifically stated you were not asking for help, I'm simply going to thank you for sharing the experience with us! Sometimes that's the most therapeutic thing one can do to handle dream states. I know I've shared a lot of mine here as well.

I also want to thank you for coming by to read us as part of your daily routine. Nice to know we can make you smile. :) (And hopefully not give the nightmares!)
Very interesting!
Debi, I love reading you!! You’re so wise.
Have a lovely day!

If you're dealing with something negative or malevolent then as Duke has mentioned, following that guide should help you a lot.

There is an alternative. Though, I've actually never seen it used in a situation were the person is dealing with a negative / malevolent energy. Learning how to Lucid Dream Is a great way of confronting fears while getting down to the roots of it. This is just a suggestion and since I'm not knowledgeable with dealing with negative / malevolent energies, this alternative way may not be the best route in case it makes the situation worse.

I have a Nephew who has nightmares if he is reading or watching anything scary before he heads off to sleep. Perhaps it may be worth not coming onto this website before sleep and see if your dreams become better.

Sorry I couldn't of been more help. I hope you get back to having wonderful dreams asap!
I really appreciate your considerations. I find this site fascinating. But, you’re right I should avoid reading paranormal before going to sleep. I’ll try it!

Reactions: garnetsilver
Hope everything works out with this Scristine. I am not sure if visiting site before bed is one of the issues, i guess it could be. I read this site pretty much everyday before bed. I rarely have nightmares in my adulthood. I have been in a good place for awhile now, so when i had my own negative presence showing up, i know exactly how you feel. I sleep very well every night, but when that thing showed up on rare occasions, it disturbed me deeply. It wasn't until finally 'seeing' it and finally confronting it did i find peace.

An interesting article, especially coming from Phycology Today. I've been experiencing this kind of phenomena myself for decades, but have also always been skeptical of such things and at a complete loss of how to explain it. The first couple of times it seemed an odd coincidence. After a couple dozen times it became unnerving. At a few hundred times I actually get a little scared everytime it happens.

In the article it says that this idea of precognition seems to push back against our notion of free will, but I don't think that's quite right. I have had a number of such experiences where I am shown a glimpse of a future event but using knowledge from that dream allows me to change how the event plays out. A perfect example is the dream I had in highschool about getting in a car accident, several weeks later I was in the car and everything from the stretch of road, the music on the radio and even the conversation, word for word, started to occur exactly as I had dreamed. Except instead of waiting for my dream to become reality I shouted "Watch out for the truck!" My warning caused the driver to suddenly hit the brakes and avoid the accident. My dream was no longer an accurate representation of what occurred because I took action to change the event.

I believe that in that moment I did in fact have free will. For some reason I do not understand I was given information. How I used that information, or whether I used it at all, was freely my own choice. Which means that, to the extent that I was shown the future, it was only one possible future. It's only an immutable future which pushes back against the idea of free will. The idea of a future which can be altered reinforces the concept of free will.

Reactions: garnetsilver