Western NY UFO Aplenty - MUFON

Indigo

Resident Heyoka
Reaction score
UFO sightings reported and investigated in WNY
Mutual UFO Network reports 900 sightings from around the world in May

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – Gene Godzala saw something “very unusual” around 9:05 on the night of May 5.

“A red round light. It stopped. Dead stop. And it turned green,” Godzala, a West Seneca resident, explained as he pointed to the sky from his backyard deck.

He quickly summoned his wife to come out and see what all the fuss was about.

“I was like, oh my goodness. You couldn’t watch it travel,” Sue Godzala recalled. “It just moved and was in a different location… it was a circle.”

They reported the case to the Mutual UFO Network – known as MUFON — which collects and investigates sighting reports from the public.

Jack Fay, a retired captain with the New York State Police who now works as a MUFON field investigator, says the Godzalas are “very credible people.”

“Most people are decent people and they just seen something that they don’t understand and that’s what we’re here for,” Fay said. “Mostly my job a lot of times with this and the paranormal is to try to explain to people well look, maybe this is what you seen. I’m not telling you what you seen. But it could be something like this or this, instead of extraterrestrial. That’s the last place we want to look.”

Click to view UFO reports from New York State
About a two hour drive to the east of West Seneca is Ovid, New York, in the Finger Lakes region. That’s where David and Trish Reynolds saw something on the night of June 5.

“It was huge,” recalls David, a retired state corrections worker and military veteran. He says he spotted a triangular light formation from his front porch around 9:21 p.m.

He immediately called for his wife Trish who was inside the residence.

“She was extremely surprised.”

Trish joined David on the front porch, armed with a new smartphone camera. She was able to take three quick photographs.

“The distances between the lights never changed through the whole thing. They always remained the same,” David explained.

David and Trish say the lights seen in the photos changed from an “orangish” red to a white color.

Trish concedes that she had always been a UFO skeptic, but is now a believer after seeing the strange lights.

“It really had turned me around 100 percent. I’m a firm believer now. Definitely.”

Like the Godzala family, David and Trish contacted MUFON. The case was assigned to Buffalo area field investigator John Lombardo.

“These people obviously photographed something highly unusual, said Lombardo, an Air Force veteran who spent 30 years in law enforcement. “It seemed to him [David] that the air around the lights themselves seemed to have that ripple effect as they were changing from the red orange to the white.

Trish says had she not seen the object with her own eyes she would have never believed it.

“Yeah, I saw it. So, he’s not cuckoo,” she joked while referring to her husband.

David estimates the size of the light formation was anywhere from 500 to 1,000 feet.

“I don’t know what they were, but I do know what they weren’t. They weren’t anything I’ve ever seen before.”

Both David and Trish say the event lasted about three minutes before the object disappeared quickly.

According to MUFON, there were 900 sightings from the around the world just in the month of May with most coming from the United States. The top five states with the most reports in May include California, Texas, Florida, New York and Ohio.

Other interesting data points involve the shape of the UFOs reported. The most sighted shapes were spheres, discs, triangle and circles.

Interestingly, 84 of the sightings were in the form of a triangle, and 19 reported seeing a boomerang shape.

Cassidy Nicholas, a MUFON archivist and field investigator from Western New York, says everything is looked at “scientifically.”

“Anything that you look up in the sky and you don’t know what it is…it’s unidentified to you so therefore it’s a UFO. That doesn’t mean it’s full of little green men,” said Nicholas, who has appeared on the History Channel’s Hangar 1: The UFO Files.

MUFON has different classifications ranging from unknown to identified. Those classified as IFO (Identified Flying Object) could be man-made or natural. There’s also a category for sightings that lack sufficient data, and those that end being a hoax.

Some in the UFO community say as few as 5 percent of aerial sightings fall into the unknown category.

“All we want to figure out is what it is and hopefully where it came from and track it and learn from these,” Nicholas said.

MUFON, along with the National UFO Reporting Center, provide an online reporting system for the public, and allow users to search for the latest sightings.

The West Seneca sighting in May reported by Gene and Sue Godzala has been classified by MUFON as an IFO — likely man-made.

“I didn’t get the feeling of anything extraterrestrial,” said Jack Fay, the field investigator assigned to the case.

Gene Godzala says he has no idea what the circular light was that he saw from his backyard.

“Definitely not a spotlight. Not a helicopter. Not a blimp. Not a plane. So, I really don’t know what it could be.”

And what about the case of the triangular lights witnessed and photographed by David and Trish Reynolds of the Finger Lakes region?

“It’s very rare that you find a photograph like these where it was zero magnification and quite well done,” said John Lombardo, who investigated the case for MUFON. “This is a good one. This is a very good one.”

But analysis done on the photographs found no evidence of manipulation and no evidence to suggest that the “lights were attached to any main body.” Instead, MUFON found there were four separate point sources of light consistent with “sky lanterns.”

David Reynolds is convinced that he saw something unusual in the sky outside his Finger Lakes residence last month, and he doubts the lights were sky lanterns.

“I served in the military and I’ve been on the Earth for 62 years. I’ve never seen anything like that. I can’t say what they are. I have no idea.”

Reactions: Debi
I'm telling you...once you actually see a real UFO, you never doubt it again.

The husband thought he saw something odd a few weeks ago. The map kinda sums up the idea that he probably did.

A few weeks after I had my sighting, my son was heading home and he saw the same thing. He stopped his car, got out and watched it. He said it suddenly hit him he might be better off back IN the car and he quickly came flying full speed home! These things do seem to appear in flaps.

Reactions: Indigo
We were stargazing and at first he thought he saw a shooting star, because we had just seen 2 - then he realized no - it went upwards and diagonal not down & diagonal. After that he asked if we could go inside ;)

I'm from Buffalo, N.Y. But i haven't lived there in many years. There have been reports for years of U.F.O. sightings. I've never seen a U.F.O. but i'd like to. Possibly a influx of sightings?

I'm from Buffalo, N.Y. But i haven't lived there in many years. There have been reports for years of U.F.O. sightings. I've never seen a U.F.O. but i'd like to. Possibly a influx of sightings?
I'm from out on Lake Ontario, but, now live in the Hudson Valley & both areas of the state are mighty active. The sightings go very very far back if you ask anyone from the 6 Nations tribes. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the diagonal part of the state from Long Island and left/up in a diagonal line make some kind of magnetic field that's favorable for travel & that our mountains - which go diagonal to the left and up, make a good landmark (and possibly mark out the geometry of the magnetic field). That pattern is a 'corridor' for travel.

I'm from out on Lake Ontario, but, now live in the Hudson Valley & both areas of the state are mighty active. The sightings go very very far back if you ask anyone from the 6 Nations tribes. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the diagonal part of the state from Long Island and left/up in a diagonal line make some kind of magnetic field that's favorable for travel & that our mountains - which go diagonal to the left and up, make a good landmark (and possibly mark out the geometry of the magnetic field). That pattern is a 'corridor' for travel.
Indigo, that would make sense. Especially if the sightings are always in the same areas. A super highway for travel.

Indigo, that would make sense. Especially if the sightings are always in the same areas. A super highway for travel.
The longer I live in the state, and ironically 'on the line' or 'in the corridor' the more weird stuff I see. Especially in the wee hours just before dawn. I live in a considerably high altitude right now & our dawn is delayed because of it. We have an awesome civil twilight that allows for one half of the sky to be lit while the other half is dark. It's during these times I've encountered some odd sightings. Nothing crazy, tho I have experienced that, but definitely not your average shooting star or airplane in the distance.

The longer I live in the state, and ironically 'on the line' or 'in the corridor' the more weird stuff I see. Especially in the wee hours just before dawn. I live in a considerably high altitude right now & our dawn is delayed because of it. We have an awesome civil twilight that allows for one half of the sky to be lit while the other half is dark. It's during these times I've encountered some odd sightings. Nothing crazy, tho I have experienced that, but definitely not your average shooting star or airplane in the distance.
Indigo, it is a special state for sure. Especially for the paranormal. I've had more paranormal experiences in Buffalo, than i've had at any other location. I continue to have them currently where i live. All of them are with sprits. And depending on what time of year it seems things kick up a little more.